Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to work with the flu

Posted by   + Show Post

So the flu is hitting everyone in my workplace and city. Half of the people you know are either sick with or have been sick with the flu.

We were just told yesterday that if one is sick with the flu they are to go home and use up their sick/vacation time. We are not to work from home. WTF? What difference does it make if we want to work from home or not at least we are working!

Anyhow, apparently this encourages people to want to work from home or request to work from home. So next time I get the flu I am coming to work.

by on Jan. 30, 2018 at 9:24 AM
Replies (11-14):
Medic729
by Member on Feb. 4, 2018 at 12:25 PM

I hate this whole "if you have the flu stay home" crap. Once you have been diagnosed, it's too late anyways. You've already infected those you've come in contact with, and I guarantee your coworkers have been infected by simply going to the grocery store. This outbreak is BAD. 

I work in an ER at a trauma center and on an ambulance. I can't stay home and I get re-exposed to it several times a day. 

Now, all that said, if you are too sick to work, please stay home and don't put yourself in any danger driving to work. 

All any of us can do to help prevent getting sick is keep washing hands and keep good hygeine. 

thebadkitty
by Member on Feb. 4, 2018 at 12:42 PM

People should stay home if they have the flu. I had the flu no one at work got it. Just me. The point of staying home is so you can rest to recover better or faster. Those that keep working while sick with the flu are not only spreading it, but also delaying the recovery process by weeks. If you are sick especially with a fever go home and stay home. Work will be in better condition if you make a full recover vs you are sick for a month.

Quoting Medic729:

I hate this whole "if you have the flu stay home" crap. Once you have been diagnosed, it's too late anyways. You've already infected those you've come in contact with, and I guarantee your coworkers have been infected by simply going to the grocery store. This outbreak is BAD. 

I work in an ER at a trauma center and on an ambulance. I can't stay home and I get re-exposed to it several times a day. 

Now, all that said, if you are too sick to work, please stay home and don't put yourself in any danger driving to work. 

All any of us can do to help prevent getting sick is keep washing hands and keep good hygeine. 

Medic729
by Member on Feb. 4, 2018 at 1:11 PM
Someone with a fever is definitely too sick to work, but once they are fever free and have the physical ability to work, I agree that they can and should work.

Quoting thebadkitty:

People should stay home if they have the flu. I had the flu no one at work got it. Just me. The point of staying home is so you can rest to recover better or faster. Those that keep working while sick with the flu are not only spreading it, but also delaying the recovery process by weeks. If you are sick especially with a fever go home and stay home. Work will be in better condition if you make a full recover vs you are sick for a month.

Quoting Medic729:

smorgan865
by Member on Feb. 4, 2018 at 1:13 PM
Same rule at my workplace. If you’re well enough to work, you should be in the office. If you’re too sick to be in the office, you are too sick to work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)