Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

December How To- Handmade Bows

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 596 Total Views

At first glance these seem very challenging. I promise- when you finish your first bow you'll be addicted...they really are pretty simple!

Here's what you'll need for this project:

* 6X12" Double sided paper ( a 12X12 piece will make 2 bows)

* Paper trimmer

*Adhesive

*Brads

*1/16" hole punch ( or slightly bigger)

Directions:

1* Cut 8 strips of 1"X6" , then turn your paper to the right and cut 1 strip of 1"X4" piece of paper. Next, turn the  paper to the right again and cut four strips of 1"X5".

You'll also need the 1"X4" in your "A" color as well.

3* Take your "A" colored strips, place them face up and put adhesive on one end of each strip.

Take your "B" colored strips and  put adhesive on one end of each strip.

4* Take your "A" pieces and wrap them as shown- ( this is for the first layer so you should be using your 1"X5" "A" colored pieces.)

You're going to fold them almost in half- but twist them to the left.

It should look like this when you're finished.

5* Do this to all of your sets of strips. ( There should be 3 different sets)

You'll notice that I have 2 Sets of "A" colored "petals" and 1 set of "B" colored "petals".

6*Now you're going to take two petals and hold them together end to end. Take your hole punch and punch a hole in the center- do this with all the "petals".

7* Now take the 1"X4" strip and wrap it in a circle "B" side up. Punch a hole in the center and place your medium sized brad through both holes.

8* Now you're going to take your smaller sized petals ( the 1"X5" ) and place them each over the brad- at this point your bow is going to resemble a flower.

This is the back view with the four "petals" attached.

This is what your front view should look like with the first row finished. DO NOT fold the brad down yet- you're still going to attach the next to "rows"- before you fold the brad.

9* Now put row 2 of your bow on the brad ( This would be the "B" patterned side) Use your lager 1"X6" petals for this next row.

Just go around and around until you have the 2ND layer attached.

This is what the front of your bow looks like with the second layer attached.

10* Continue with the last layer of "Petals". This is your "A" color again.

This is the first "petal" of the last row. Continue to place the last 3 petals on this row. Then you'll press the brad down. It's going to be a tight fit- but it can be done.

The back side of the bow with all the layers attached.

This is how the front of the bow looks when you're all finished.

This is my daughter Emma ( age 10 ) holding up the bow she made- mostly by herself.

These are some of the other bows I made. See, it's addictive. :)

I  hope you enjoy making these bows as much as Emma and I did! We look forward to seeing your lovely creations!

by on Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toothy
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Wow, those are so pretty, it looks complicated.

mommajess2026
by on Dec. 8, 2009 at 2:27 PM
Wow those are pretty. I am going to have to try one.
MamaCass07
by on Dec. 9, 2009 at 10:49 AM

fantabulous!!!

ShaunnaMichelle
by on Dec. 18, 2009 at 8:21 PM

HA! I can make bows now!!! SUHWEET!!! My double-sided paper is about to be in short supply.

JavaMama03
by on Dec. 20, 2009 at 4:14 PM

BEAUTIFUL! :) We have a bunch on our Christmas tree because my 10 year old thought they made great decorations! :) I love the paper that you used too..so pretty and festive.

Quoting ShaunnaMichelle:

HA! I can make bows now!!! SUHWEET!!! My double-sided paper is about to be in short supply.

farrah_js
by Group Admin on Dec. 23, 2009 at 12:32 AM

I just realized that I have very little double sided paper in my stash. Well, I found some and it was really fun to do! Thnx for a great tutorial!

I also couldn't resist putting a pic of my daughter with the bow. She helped me and was loving every minute of it! :o)

Farrah
JavaMama03
by on Dec. 23, 2009 at 1:35 AM

Beautiful Bow Farrah! Your daughter is so Cute! :) I'm glad both of you enjoyed the tutorial!

ShaunnaMichelle
by on Dec. 23, 2009 at 8:15 PM

I'm not going to post them all....but I want you to know I've made at least 20 of these!!! I was SO bored with it being break from school and so I just went nuts making bows! LOL! Now I don't have to buy any though! Here's ONE more!

ealexh
by on Jan. 2, 2010 at 11:44 AM

These little suckers are addicting!  I just couldn't stop!  Then, my daughter got involved because she thought they were so cute.  Anyway, here are some of mine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crafty Blog: http://ealexh.typepad.com/
Online scrap & stamp store: http://erica.ismyangel.net/
AC articles: http://www.associatedcontent.com/falkhuzar
Family album: http://falkhuzarfamily.shutterfly.com/

JavaMama03
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Those are so pretty Erica! I know what you mean about the addiction. We made several ( my daughter Emma and I)- and she still wanted to make more- but, I had other craft obligations.

I really enjoyed seeing the bows that everyone made- they all turned out fantastic!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Cafemom Join now to connect to other members! Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN