Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age for a toddler bed? Updated Pictures

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM
  • 19 Replies
  • 20526 Total Views
2 moms liked this

My almost 16mo has started to try and climb out of his I watched him on our monitor last night and it was scary so we are taking the crib aways today. Our crib turns into a todler bed but it still looks really high conpared to some I have seen. My plans were for christmas he was getting a big boy room form IKEA the loft bed that the mattress on bottom untill they are older then it flips and it is up top.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10123996 

But last night convensed me we may have to get something sooner. Any suggestions? I think the bed I want is still a little too big for right now. He is getting the mattress on the floor tonight and I don't know how that is going to work because he is used to being put to bed awake and goes to sleep on his own I think tonight he may try and play once I leave the room.

Any suggestions or links to the beds you guys use would be great. Thanks

Update:

Well we found out our crib was on recall so we never turned it into a toddler bed Kaden Hunter has been in the floor on the mattress for well over a week and has went to sleep almost everynight by himself without playing or coming to our room. We had a hard time finding a bed we thought would keep him from rolling off, findly  I found a guy on e-bay that makes them so he is getting a John Deere tractor bed this weekend Pictures are Coming he is very excited every night when it is time for bed he runs to his room saying tractor here I can't wait till he opens the door and it is all ready for him! 

IT FINALY GOT HERE

and he slept all night long

by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bean0604
by on Sep. 15, 2008 at 10:44 AM

My son went through the same thing at around 18 months, I saw him fall out of his crib one night while trying to get out, he slept with me that night and I switched his crib into a toddler bed the next morning!! One of his classmates in daycare had a broken arm at the time from falling while trying to climb out of his crib, so I wasn't going to mess around!!

I would suggest turning it into a toddler bed now. YOu should be able to find these mesh bed rails at wal-mart or target: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8832431. They will prevent him from falling out of the toddler bed. As for him playing in his room at bedtime, just have a bedtime routine; reading a book, singing a song, or something like that to get him ready for bed. A lot of kids play for a little while before bed, so it's pretty normal...a couple nights of him being "wild" and staying up past bedtime will catch up with him, and he should soon be going to bed right on time!

Tina
Grantsmom629
by New Member on Sep. 15, 2008 at 9:39 PM

I just switched my son about two months ago after he was trying to get out of his crib.  I had visions of him landing right on his head after I saw him hanging head first out of the crib saying Mommy help.  Lucky for me he made it to just over two before he had the ambition to climb.  We went straight to a twin bed and put the mesh railings on it so he won't fall out.  We also got him a small plastic stool to use to get back into bed if he does get out.

It was a bit of a transition for him and it took some patience on my part.  I spent a few nights sitting in his room until he fell asleep and then there were a few nights of him crying it out where he ended up sleeping on the floor instead of in bed.  He is back on a routine now we just have to leave his door open when we put him to bed and he is happy.

I hope it all works out for you.

Becky

1organicmom
by Member on Sep. 17, 2008 at 4:41 PM

We're kinda cheap and didn't want to buy a toddler bed, so we did the mattress on the floor for a few months (and he got used to not playing after we left the room)-- then we got a twin mattress and frame, but instead of getting the boxspring, we got what's called a bunky board... we got it from the mattress store and it's meant to put under the top bunk of a bunkbed.... it keeps it still pretty low to the ground, but yet isn't on the floor either.... my son fell out of his crib when he climbed out at 16 months and the next night on the floor went the mattress!! 

NYsoccermom
by on Sep. 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM

We started at 15 mos but that was the minimum age recommended and my son hated his crib.

ChristineSellsT
by on Sep. 30, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Oh crap I feel old!! I can't remember what age he was when we made the switch! confusedugh....

chelfig
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2008 at 8:10 AM

Hi, my son is now 1 and has been sleeping in a toddler bed since he was about 6 months old. He did not like not being able to get out on his own or getting up when he wanted to. We tried it for a week to see how things went and it was good. He would go to sleep and when he woke up, he was in a good mood.

Michele   hugs

JPsMommy605
by on Oct. 6, 2008 at 6:03 PM

I never had my son sleep in a crib - he co-slept with me mostly next to me but sometimes in a co-sleeper attached to my bed.  When I moved to my current apartment, I kept my bed off the frame and just had the mattresses on the floor so if he fell out, it would't hurt him.  He only fell out of bed once that I recall and got a rug burn on his nose.  When he turned 2 I got him a twin size bed, but he didn't start sleeping in it until he was almost three.  Now he sleeps most nights in his bed, and some nights in mine.  He's fine with both and I've never gotten him sidings for his bed, though I had considered it.  For the most part, he's very aware of where his body is when he's awake and he doesn't toss much when he's asleep, so I just decided a twin would work just find.

Sara Huffman
Independent Consultant
Usborne Books at Home
www.LoveToRead-UBAH.com

brandi.spell
by on Oct. 22, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Updated With Pictures

Momyplease
by Member on Dec. 7, 2008 at 11:46 PM

I also have the matress on the floor.. I got him a nice white toddler bed.. He is 2.4 years old now btw.. he never wanted to get into it.. he would scream the minute i putt him in.. and jump off.. so I said enough... I putt the mattress on the floor..So when he gets really tired he go right to it and falls a sleep. He's bath time routine is messed up now that we are in a new place.. new room new everything.. so he fall a sleep around 9-10 pm used to sleep though the night and wake up about 8am now he wakes up about midnight or 2 am and wants to sleep with us at the best situation or don't want to go back to sleep at all. I do all the bed time routine the buble bath with Jasmin oil .. Jasmin body lotion.. reading stories.. singing goodnight.. nightly prayer. and if that still don't work i result to a quick cartoon on the tv.. then he fall a sleep usually .. but i still afraid to leave him in his room alone because we have a 3 level town house and he can open his room door which is good because he would be freaked out even more if he get locked in there. but what if one night he goes down the stairs and roam around the house? Getting into stuff or even worst get hurt? So tonight he woke up again now he is downstairs with me sleeping in the love chair in the living room .. I have a hard time carrying him upstairs he is 40 lbs now and by the time I get up to the top of the stairs .. i like to have a heart attack.. I am so out of shape.. yuk.. and he wakes up . so tonight I will try to putt him back in his room and stay up all night to see what he does.. If any of you have a ideal to solve this problem please let me know . I am getting really tired of not sleeping at night.  so please mommies.. if you had this problem or know what to do please help. .

god bless all of you

Tundie

myerstiff
by on May. 25, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Would you please share where you found the john deere bed?  I saw that you found it on ebay but when I did a search it didn't come up.  I'd love to have one made for my son who will soon be out of his crib.  Thanks!  Tiffany Myers myers_tiff@yahoo.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)