Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

eBay "Spoof" email?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 351 Total Views

I just got an email that looks like a message from eBay "question for the seller" it says

You got my $500 2 weeks ago and there is no response from you .. I reported you to PayPal and if you don`t answer in 2 days i will contact FBI..

- andrews92122

I have only sold childrens clothing in the last month and have NEVER sold a PSP. I didnt get any notiications from PayPal that anyone reported me..and when I signed into my eBay the email wasnt in my message box. Is this something I need to worry about or is it a scam/spoof?

Thanks!

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
YorkEricaL
by Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Oh, and seriously..the FBI over a PSP..I dont think so!

audraedandeddie
by Bata Team on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Don't worry, it's fake.  I got it too...It looks legit, doesn't it!!  I just deleted mine but you can report them.  I use to report them but I get so many, I just don't have the time and I'm really not sure it helps.  They're are so many dishonest people out there...it's a shame.  What's your ebay name, I'll add you to my favorites :0)

Works4Mom.com
by Group Owner on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Whatever you do, don't click any of the links within the email. Those links are phishing for your passwords and other log in information.

A few of our members click on the PayPal links within the spoof emails. It took them to what they thought was PayPal and got their login information. The "spoofers" were able to make purchase and have items sent out of the country. Our members were lucky, their credit card companies and banks returned their money, but that can take months.

If you drink, don't park; accidents cause people.

FancyKnots
by Group Admin on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I've been getting a lot of wierd spam too.  If I know for sure it is not something I sold and collected money I just click the report to spam button on my gmail.  I'm not sure there is much you can do.  Spammers find their way in everywhere.

Fancy Knots

Handmade Crafts, Collectables & Antiques

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=fancyknotscollectables01

Works4Mom.com
by Group Owner on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I got that email this morning.

I figured it was on it's way, they all seem to find me. I wrote back and told them I have forwarded the email to the FBI and it wasn't very smart of them to forget to hide their IP. That should get them panicing for a little while at least. lol

If you drink, don't park; accidents cause people.

YorkEricaL
by Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 10:50 PM

Quoting Works4Mom.com:

I got that email this morning.

I figured it was on it's way, they all seem to find me. I wrote back and told them I have forwarded the email to the FBI and it wasn't very smart of them to forget to hide their IP. That should get them panicing for a little while at least. lol

LOL! That is so funny! I read it and thought "what the heck is going on!"..then I read it again and thought "FBI..are you kidding me?!"

YorkEricaL
by Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Quoting Works4Mom.com:

Whatever you do, don't click any of the links within the email. Those links are phishing for your passwords and other log in information.

A few of our members click on the PayPal links within the spoof emails. It took them to what they thought was PayPal and got their login information. The "spoofers" were able to make purchase and have items sent out of the country. Our members were lucky, their credit card companies and banks returned their money, but that can take months.

Thanks! I didnt click on any of the links..I just went straight to 'My eBay' and since I didnt see the message in my inbox there I didnt click on it. Thank goodness!

YorkEricaL
by Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 10:55 PM

Quoting audraedandeddie:

Don't worry, it's fake.  I got it too...It looks legit, doesn't it!!  I just deleted mine but you can report them.  I use to report them but I get so many, I just don't have the time and I'm really not sure it helps.  They're are so many dishonest people out there...it's a shame.  What's your ebay name, I'll add you to my favorites :0)

Thanks! It did look real! I double checked the email address that it came from and everything! I have never got spam from eBay before so I was caught a little off guard.

My eBay name is YorkEricaL also. ( im so creative I know ) I have just been selling what my daughter has grown out of..I have another basket of things sitting here waiting for me to list! Hopefully I will get to it on Sunday. I have been reading your other posts here though and Im thinking about trying to start selling more! It's exciting : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)