Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:01 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 207 Total Views

Ive been in here a while but I have no money to get my ebay buisness going ,and I had a new idea (to start me off)

Can you sell digital creations?

Like could some one pay me to create invites,flyers,photo edits etc if no product is ever actually shipped?

What I was thinking is offer an edit for a certin price work one on one with the buyer to achive thier product(they would be emailing me photos and info) and then I would email them the finished product for them to print.

How would this work?Would you select free shipping and note very clearly they are paying for a digital edit and nothing will be shipped to them but instead emailed to them?

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Works4Mom.com
by Group Owner on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:55 PM

You can sell digital items, but it costs $9.99 a month per listing – and no one ever really sees them.
eBay doesn’t want people selling digital items any long so they decided to put a very high price tag on it.

To list an actual auction you must sell a physical item.

(I know how you feel. I use to sell digital items and that paid for all my eBay and PayPal fees – everything else was profit.)

If you drink, don't park; accidents cause people.

Chrystal_A
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:43 PM

$10 a posting??Holy crap!Ive seen people selling digital invites for $9.99 so no profit?eek! 

Mom2Jack04
by Alpha Team on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Yeah the only way around the higher fee for a digital item is to in fact send a digital item but also send the item on a disc to the customer as well.....then you can list it as an auction at the cheaper rate. 

BUT reality is ANYONE can start an ebay business with ZERO money if they already have a few things.....

1. Internet access

2. Digital Camera

3. Things around your house to sell

4. Access to a post office

5. a Paypal account

You can get started very easily by selling things in your home your family no longer uses (number 3 on the list), clothes, toys, dvd's, collectibles, etc. etc.

Take pics of the items with your digital camera, use a free hosting site such as photobucket, and accept paypal for payment.  Go to your local post office or to usps.com and get FREE priority boxes to ship your items in....or if they are smaller things that can go into bubble envelopes invest a few dollars and go to the dollar store for 2 packs of bubble envelopes. 

Once your items are listed, sold, paid for and shipped take the earnings and first pay your ebay bill.....even though you technically have 30 days until you are invoiced it's easier to pay right away and know that the money left over is what you earned.  Then simply take the money you earned and go shopping for more things to sell.  Go to thrift stores, yard sales, consignment shops when they have sales, craigslist and clearance racks and buy more things to sell.  You can buy clothes, toys, record albums, crib bedding, glassware, or other collectibles and resell them. 

Look into certain stores and when they have sales.....like here every Wednesday all clothes, purses and shoes are 50% off at Salvation Army locations (except maybe one tag color, such as all pink tags are regular price still)!  Here on Thursdays EVERYTHING is half off at local Goodwill locations.  Amvets only does the 50% off for big holiday sales....but they do have a different tag color that's 25% off each day.  One consignment shop in my area has a semi-annual sale where everything is just $1, including name brand baby/children clothes like Gymboree, Ralph Lauren and such.....my first experience with their back to school sale (of summer and spring items) I only spend $35, but I plan on going and stocking up on winter items in a few months with that sale and buying as much as possible. 

And that's all you need to start selling on eBay for ZERO to start with!!!

Lilypie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
Chrystal_A
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM

My long run goal is crafting,in combination with party.My kids always seem to choose hard to find party ideas and well Id like to make it easier for other moms in the future.BUT in order to get going on such I have to put investment into such.Id like to do party packages as well as hand crafted favors and decorations,however the materials to even begin costs too much so to stick with my original plan I thought I could do digital invitations.I might just do the ship a cd idea though.

Works4Mom.com
by Group Owner on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Shipping a CD is going to cost you all of what? $0.75 because of the odd shape. If you don't have CD's on hand you can alway pick those up REALLY cheap at the check out line at Target. I picked up a pack of 5 with jewel cases for $2.00. For that price you can give free shipping! 

The problem is how are you at design and marketing?

You can't sell copy righted material. Everything popular is copy righted. For example my girls, for their birthdays wanted Sean the Sheep, The Penguins and Phineas and Ferb. I couldn't find anything anywhere for those, but because they are under a copy right you wouldn't be able to create and sell anything having to do with those shows. So you will have to design and create your own, then get people to believe it is exactly what they want. Which isn't impossible, Apple did it with iPods - I still have NO IDEA why anyone needs an iPod, but everyone thinks they do. If you can do that, you've got it made. 

audraedandeddie
by Bata Team on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I have actually bought what you want to sell.  For Eddie's 2nd birthay I bought a personalized party invite with his photo in it and I was so happy with the results!!  She just sent me the cd and I took it to CVS and had the invites printed :0)  You could definately do ths!!!  Good Luck :0)

Mom2Jack04
by Alpha Team on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Quoting Chrystal_A:

My long run goal is crafting,in combination with party.My kids always seem to choose hard to find party ideas and well Id like to make it easier for other moms in the future.BUT in order to get going on such I have to put investment into such.Id like to do party packages as well as hand crafted favors and decorations,however the materials to even begin costs too much so to stick with my original plan I thought I could do digital invitations.I might just do the ship a cd idea though.

Well like eDee said as long as you stick to non-copywrited material and create things people can legally print out it's a good idea.  Just consider my suggestions as far as earning money to fund this idea, since it costs nothing to do this.  Because money will be needed to get started, think of it as a clear out the clutter, earn some money and make some space for your new endeaver. 

Also as far as printing out things you may want to look into a site that is kinda pricey but may be able to help you get started.... http://www.cafepress.com/ they do have notecards and other things besides shirts you may be able to use. 

Another thing you may want to consider is rather than do custom work perhaps you can work on creating a software with elements you deisgned being used to create invitations, labels and such that people can buy to use to make their own invitations.  I know years ago I sold personalized candy bar wrappers from a company called Cherubs-N-Chocolate but to expand my offerings I bought a software from an eBay seller that allowed me to make candy wrappers in endless designs for mini hershey bars, lifesavers and other candies which expanded what I offered at the time.  I know the woman I bought the software from also sold a wedding invitation creator and other software she created and she did realy well with it.

I sold wedding, baby and party favors for years on eBay, mostly candy wrappers, favors from Oriental Trading Co, and them Soap and Chocolate lollipop favors I personaly made and did well for awhile, it just got to be too much for me....making 500 soaps a day, bagging them, tieing with curling ribbon, making personalized labels for them, and such was tedious even if it made good money.....i opted to stop MAKING products to sell, after a time

Lilypie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
Works4Mom.com
by Group Owner on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM

I'm having flash backs of my Harry Potter Scarf years, I thought I was going to die. I could knitting 2 or 3 a night, but I was up half the night every night and the orders would come in much faster than I could keep up. I think I slept through a few Christmases just because it was the first time I had to sleep in months. I was next daying scarves 2 days before Christmas because people were willing to pay double the next day shipping cost just to get me to do it. 

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

Quoting Chrystal_A:

Well like eDee said as long as you stick to non-copywrited material and create things people can legally print out it's a good idea.  Just consider my suggestions as far as earning money to fund this idea, since it costs nothing to do this.  Because money will be needed to get started, think of it as a clear out the clutter, earn some money and make some space for your new endeaver.

Also as far as printing out things you may want to look into a site that is kinda pricey but may be able to help you get started.... http://www.cafepress.com/ they do have notecards and other things besides shirts you may be able to use.

Another thing you may want to consider is rather than do custom work perhaps you can work on creating a software with elements you deisgned being used to create invitations, labels and such that people can buy to use to make their own invitations.  I know years ago I sold personalized candy bar wrappers from a company called Cherubs-N-Chocolate but to expand my offerings I bought a software from an eBay seller that allowed me to make candy wrappers in endless designs for mini hershey bars, lifesavers and other candies which expanded what I offered at the time.  I know the woman I bought the software from also sold a wedding invitation creator and other software she created and she did realy well with it.

I sold wedding, baby and party favors for years on eBay, mostly candy wrappers, favors from Oriental Trading Co, and them Soap and Chocolate lollipop favors I personaly made and did well for awhile, it just got to be too much for me....making 500 soaps a day, bagging them, tieing with curling ribbon, making personalized labels for them, and such was tedious even if it made good money.....i opted to stop MAKING products to sell, after a time

Reener
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Excellent post!!good

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)