• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Craigslist

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 446 Total Views

I don't remember if I asked this question here or not, so excuse me if I'm repeating.

Does anyone sell on Craigslist?

Thoughts, advice, opinions?

I seem to get a huge amount of spammers. It's getting very hard to tell the real interested buyers from the scammers.

I usually just require an email for response, but I'm thinking I might have better luck weeding out the the scum if I post my cell. I do have a throw away email, but that doesn't always work.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Krystallized
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Reenie I do. I have an alternative e-mail set up just for CL, and for people I don't wish to have my personal e-mail address. Personally, I don't like responding to people by phone. I'd rather e-mail and get a feel for whom I'm dealing with first. One of my biggest suggestions is pictures, pictures, pictures! Nobody wants to see stock photos, I enjoy seeing the actual item. Keep your description brief and to the point. Most of my stuff sold on CL has been furniture and household goods, not so much clothing. Always ask a few dollars MORE than what you'd like to get and let them barter you down. You can always come down, if people are watching they'll know if you try to go up. Just make sure you mention OBRO. Hope this helps some =)

Acestagemom
by Bata Team on May. 26, 2010 at 12:53 PM

whats obro ?

Krystallized
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Quoting Acestagemom:

whats obro ?

Or best reasonable offer....

Reener
by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I have no problem with pictures, that they get plenty of. Description is clear and concise.

It's just all the stupid scammers and spammers. Craigslist people really need to get their game on with this jerks.

I've never had luck selling clothes, so I just donate them. It's mostly household or electronics or car related items.

Funny how you have better luck with an email response.

Also, it's getting a little nerve racking with the local pickup option. Who knows who's just acting like their interested and just wants your address to stake out your house.

I guess it's a matter of area. Some areas are better for Craigslist than others.

Acestagemom
by Bata Team on May. 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Quoting Krystallized:

Quoting Acestagemom:

whats obro ?

Or best reasonable offer....

I knew that, I was just check to see if you did. LOL (I'm Kiddding, I didn't know)

Works4Mom.com
by Group Owner on May. 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM

There was another Craigs List murder recently.
I hate Craig’s list – to many wackos.

If you drink, don't park; accidents cause people.

Mom2Jack04
by Alpha Team on May. 27, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I've purchased a few things from craigslist, and we;ve used it to find college kids to deliver flyers door to door but that's about it.  I wn't sell anything on there, and even wen I just put an ad for our carpet cleaning biz we mainly just get spam, we've only ever gotten one job booked from craigslist and it was only a $50 area rug cleaning job.

Sharron_
by Bata Team on May. 27, 2010 at 1:31 PM

When I have listed toys in the past, I always give out my cell number.

Then when one person shows up I offer to do a deal if they take more than one item.   Usually works too!!. 

But yes if they call you....then they usually turn up.

Reener
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Quoting Mom2Jack04:

I've purchased a few things from craigslist, and we;ve used it to find college kids to deliver flyers door to door but that's about it.  I wn't sell anything on there, and even wen I just put an ad for our carpet cleaning biz we mainly just get spam, we've only ever gotten one job booked from craigslist and it was only a $50 area rug cleaning job.

Other than selling, we usually use it to find car parts or just cars. My son just bought a car from someone from Craigslist. That's about all I'm finding it useful for.

I may try one more time and just use my cell phone number.  Thanks everyone for your input!

supmom2x2
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Hi i list a lot on cl and I post my cell # I dont like when I get emails . When I get the emails and I dont feel good about what they are asking I dont email them back . Because then they will have my email address . if they are a true buyer they will call and I have some rules.

I never give out my home address by email . I like to her the person to make sure and get a good feel if they are a true buyer before i give the address . I always tell them to call me right when they are ready to come over then I give them the address . I always make sure my husband is here with me and He will deal with them not me .

I have done good with big items , beds ,furniture, baby toys, walker, and more good luck you just need to have rules and go by how the person sounds on the phone you will know .

and as for emails I have got some. that say they want my paypal account and for me to  send the item to them. another one is they are going to be moveing here and want to buy it for the son.

I have also got some emails that they want to buy my item and they are not sure if it is the one the son or friend has and they put a link on the email and want me to watch a video all of this type of email I just spam. I do not open any links because I dont know what it counld be ... If they really want my item the will call .  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)