• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shipping Insurance

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:47 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 346 Total Views

I was shocked when I just read eBay will no longer be allowing sellers to charge the buyers for shipping insurance.  Another new cost for the seller to take on.  Here is what I read:

Optional buyer charges for shipping insurance removed:The insurance option creates the perception that buyers need to purchase shipping insurance as a protection on eBay, an experience they're not accustomed to on other ecommerce sites. In fact, sellers have always been responsible for their items until they arrive safely in their customers' hands. That's why shipping insurance will no longer be included in the purchase flow as either an option or requirement for buyers.

Of course you can choose to purchase insurance on shipments, but not ask buyers to buy insurance separately. In some categories like Antiques, Collectibles, and Jewelry, shipping insurance for sellers is essential. When appropriate, you can include the cost of insurance in your item or shipping price.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Works4Mom.com
by Group Owner on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:04 AM

That's called "handling" You pay for it on every site, they just don't tell you.

It's not different then adding your fees, when you run a store nothing is free. Customers don't really get free gifts, they pay for them they just don't realize it.

itsmesteph11
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Thats not handling, it's litereally the insurance. You will no longer be able to require it and the option will not be on the menu in the auction. It says nothing about not being able to charge handling. I don't requite it but I do recommend it so I guess that will not be allowed either? Thats just informing them it is available but they don't have to buy it. Ebay is really beginning to get on my nerves. Talk about losing freedoms.  You should check out all the other changes,

~There is no love like a cats love~

*RIP Whispers*

Steph

Acestagemom
by Bata Team on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:41 AM

So dose this mean it takes effect immediately or we get a few weeks grace to change all auctions?

audraedandeddie
by Bata Team on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I think October but I'll have to double check.  Earliest is September

Quoting Acestagemom:

So dose this mean it takes effect immediately or we get a few weeks grace to change all auctions?

audraedandeddie
by Bata Team on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Shipping insurance has always been the responcibility of the Seller it's just not all buyers knew that.  On large packages...high dollar....I always insured even if the buyer declined.  It was nice when they paid the insurance but it really has always been the sellers responcibilty for the package to arrive safely.

Mom2Jack04
by Alpha Team on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:55 AM

Yeah it honestly doesn't bother me.  With Paypal buyer protection buyers rarely buy insurance anymore because they know that they HAVE paypals "insurance"  Insurance is really for the seller....I don't bother on small items but on any high selling item I always purchase it on my own. 

I think the reason why ebay has put this in writing is because many sellers state something along the lines of "I am not responcible for your item once it's left my hands, so please purchase insurance"  I must confess I *used* to have such a statement in my listings.  I probably still have old terms saved that still say that from several years ago.  Reality is it's the seller's responcibility to deliver the product to the customer in the same condition.  True, we can't follow packages, but all it takes is a postal worker dropping and breaking your item for a SNAD claim to be filed.  And when paypal sides with the bidder, which probably 99% of the time they do, if you have insurance you can at least file the claim!

Sharron_
by Bata Team on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Well I always thought it was my responsibility to buy the insurance.  I don't see why the buyer should pay for it.

I order things from Lands End (Free shipping normally)....if I don't receive the parcel...is that my fault?  If I receive damaged goods from a company...I don't see that I am responsible.

So No....why should the buyer be responsible for insurance....it doesn't make sense to me.

I have always paid out of pocket for insurance.  I have two items I need to insure today (if they pay today!) and I will happily pay out of pocket for it. 

And when you read the Ebay thingy thoroughly it says you can include the price of insurance in the shipping price. 

So I don't mind paying for insurance.

Sharon. 

Works4Mom.com
by Group Owner on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Exactly! If I don't receive my package from Amazon they ship me another one the same day. But you shouldn't be paying it "out of pocket" If you are paying for it out of pocket that means you are not making anything on your sale - nothing at all.

If you think about the bookkeeping, everything you spend should come out of either the sale or the postage, what you have left over is the profit.

Quoting Sharron_:

Well I always thought it was my responsibility to buy the insurance.  I don't see why the buyer should pay for it.

I order things from Lands End (Free shipping normally)....if I don't receive the parcel...is that my fault?  If I receive damaged goods from a company...I don't see that I am responsible.

So No....why should the buyer be responsible for insurance....it doesn't make sense to me.

I have always paid out of pocket for insurance.  I have two items I need to insure today (if they pay today!) and I will happily pay out of pocket for it. 

And when you read the Ebay thingy thoroughly it says you can include the price of insurance in the shipping price. 

So I don't mind paying for insurance.

Sharon. 

Works4Mom.com
by Group Owner on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM

How it is not "handling"?

If your package is lost while it is being handled by USPS, FedEx or other, then your package is covered. Handling is anything which has to do with shipping which is not postage. You can charge handling on any item unless you offer free shipping LOL

Most large companies (like Amazon) charge insurance on all packages you just don't know it. It's there own insurance policy, they self insure.

On the grand "eBay crap" scale, this one is pretty low. But what are the other changes?

Quoting itsmesteph11:

Thats not handling, it's litereally the insurance. You will no longer be able to require it and the option will not be on the menu in the auction. It says nothing about not being able to charge handling. I don't requite it but I do recommend it so I guess that will not be allowed either? Thats just informing them it is available but they don't have to buy it. Ebay is really beginning to get on my nerves. Talk about losing freedoms.  You should check out all the other changes,

audraedandeddie
by Bata Team on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:29 PM
eBay eBay sent this message to Audra J Boggs (audraedandeddie).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay.
Learn more.

As we announced in April, in the spirit of partnership, eBay is consolidating changes into two or three major releases a year, with at least a two-month advance notice for sellers. Here's an overview of the second and final major release of 2009. Most of these updates will launch between September 22 and October 1.
Especially important for you as a PowerSeller--over the coming months we will be making some changes to the PowerSeller program requirements, and providing the highest rewards to Power Sellers of all sizes who consistently provide great service to their customers.
The focus of all the updates in this release is to reward great service, bring you more sales, increase your profitability, and help you succeed.
  1. Rewards for sellers delivering great buyer experiences

2. Enhanced search presents more relevant listings

3. Easier, more profitable selling on eBay

You're also invited to:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)