Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

How do you occupy your little ones when they give up napping and you still need to work?

Posted by   + Show Post

With my oldest I employed the movie each day at quiet time. I preferred that she watch a long film, but she wanted shorter films. I would  work in the next room where she watched the movie. I got very little work done as I was constantly going in to help her switch movies.

Quiet time in the room without the TV was more successful. Although I could never predict what type of "quiet time" I would have to deal with in the months after my kids stopped napping. Some days they fell asleep, some days they were wild, and other days they played quietly in their rooms."

What is your strategy for a day when you have work but the kid isn't napping?

by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Replies (21-23):
LucyHarper
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Easy, we taught them to occupy themselves. Children have prime imaginations, use that within your favor. We dont have cable and dont use a tv as a babysitter, we simply set them up with a few quiet toys and told them that we needed to get some things done and would play with them once we are done. Yes, it took some work, but we always just redirected them back to their toys and reminded them that we would play with them once we are done, soon they got the hang of it and realized the more they left us to getting things done, the sooner we could get back to playing with them. The simpler the activity, the more time they play with it. Any child can get bored of staring at a screen for hours, but give a small child a cardboard box and they will be occupied for hours, it can be a space ship, a tv, a car, anything, let them put their imaginations to work and see what they can come up with. We when are getting work done, they know they have three options, they can help with the work (if its something they can help with), they can sit with us and talk while we are getting the work done (if its something we can do while talking), or they can play quietly until we are done. 

Samanthamommy
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Quiet time.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM

She never gave up napping. Still takes naps at almost 6.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN