Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

Does your toddler do puzzles?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM
  • 23 Replies

Toddler puzzles may help math skills

Published: June 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM

CHICAGO, June 18 (UPI) -- Toddlers working with puzzles and shapes may improve their spatial understanding, which in turn may improve their math skills, U.S. researchers say.

Lead author Elizabeth Gunderson and co-author Susan Levine at the University at Chicago said the results of their study suggest improving children's spatial thinking at a young age might not only help foster skills specific to spatial reasoning but also improve symbolic numerical representations.

"This is important since spatial learning is malleable and can be positively influenced by early spatial experiences," Levine said in a statement.

In the first experiment, the research team studied 152 first- and second-grade boys and girls from diverse backgrounds in five urban schools. The students were given tests at the beginning and end of the school year, to see how well they could locate numbers on a straight, unmarked line with zero at one end and 1,000 at the other.

At the beginning of the school year, the researchers also assessed children's spatial knowledge on a task that required them to choose the correct piece from among four alternatives, which could be added to others to complete a square shape.

The study, published in the journal Development Psychology, found the students with the strongest spatial skills showed the most growth in their number line knowledge during the course of the school year.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Health_News/2012/06/18/Toddler-puzzles-may-help-math-skills/UPI-31161340063699/#ixzz1yEu3xZEz
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bennysmama10
by New Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 7:59 AM
My toddler has been doing puzzles since he was a year old, I've always considered it a very important learning tool
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:06 PM

interesting....

countrygirlkat
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

My older two boys who are 6 and 5 love to do puzzles.  My youngest is 15 months old and he tries to help them, lol.  We have some of the wooden shapes ones for little kids and he has starting showing interest in them but is not able to do them without help yet.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:48 PM

She does them once, then she is done with them, never wants to repeat.

Samanthamommy
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Thanks

mallowcup17
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM

good article! yes she does...

MrsRinehart2010
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:06 PM

yup my 19 month old has been doing them since she was about 9 months old and like wise with her sister who is now 4.

Rushn311
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM

He is 4.5. He has me do them but helps...apparently he's just not interested in jigsaw puzzles...but he does those wooden boards one.

MamaMandee
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM
All my kids did!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy7243
by Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Mine did them, they always seen their older siblings doing them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)