Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

8 Mistakes First Time (& 2nd Time & Sometimes 3rd Time) Moms Make- have you ever made these mistakes?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

8 Mistakes First Time (& 2nd Time & Sometimes 3rd Time) Moms Make

Posted by Jill Smokler on July 2, 2012 

I was at Babies "R" Us yesterday buying a gift for a friend, and I found myself in line next to an obviously new mom. There was no baby in sight, but she reeked of baby powder and had the tell-tale unshowered and glazed look emanating from her. She was in her own little world, probably on her first outing without child, so I didn't bother her with any pearls of wisdom. But, damn, I was tempted. For her, and for all of those other first time moms, I offer some of the many mistakes I made ...

1.Washing newborn clothes before the baby comes home. I know, I know, it's so tempting to rip all of the tags off and have everything waiting neatly in dresser drawers. But, the thing about washed and folded clothes? They can't be returned and you're shit out of luck when your baby breezes through newborn sized onsies in a week.

2. Not accepting offers of help. Because, seriously, the offers have a very short shelf life and before long, you're on your own.

3. Stressing about the perfect nursery. The baby doesn't care. Your husband doesn't care. Your friends don't care. Your mother doesn't care.

4. Stockpiling diapers. Have an extra pack or so, but when a diaper gets too small, it's completely ineffective. Oh, and if you have a boy, make sure and point his penis down when you put the diaper on. It took weeks for me to figure out why Ben was leaking through every diaper as soon as he had it on.

5. Buying everything new. With Lily, I scoffed at consignment stores and hand-me-downs. My precious baby deserved the newest and the best. By the time Evan came around, I was happy taking something someone discarded on the side of the road for him. A run through the laundry machine or wipe down with Lysol and it's as good as new.

6. Not letting your baby cry. Ever. I have some of the worst sleepers in the world and I'm quite sure this was the reason.

7. Not showering. Yes, you're tired. Yes, it's hard to find time for yourself. Yes, I understand. But, a shower a day will do a world of good for you. And, the people around you.

8. Pretending you have it all under control. You don't. And, it's OK.

by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelicMommy_72
by Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Shower? What shower lol...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lovingmomfarm
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 3:18 AM
I went out on black Friday and bought a ton of diapers, be ause they were 50% off. I bought 1 box new born a few size one two sizes twos, threes, and fours. I thought I had a great deal and I did until we found out my daughter was allergic to that brand of diapers. LOL. O now I had all these diapers that she could not use. I returned what I could, which was only two boxes and gave the rest to friends.
Rushn311
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I wish I would of accepted more offers...I could of used them.

.Angelica.
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM

my kids wear newborn clothes for 2 months, it's 0-3 that don't get much use here! and i don't agree with letting your baby cry. sure if you have to do something there is no way around it, but if i can help it i won't let them cry. my son is a wonderful sleeper, always has been.

daerca574
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I always took whatever help I could get!

mallowcup17
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM

ya i defintely overstocked on diapers LOL...

mrswillie
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

lol...I remember those days.

Kmakksmom
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:39 AM

For our first daughter, everything had to be brand new.  For our 4th daughter and also for our only son we were getting gently used clothing from yard sales.  Ahhh, lol.

aneela
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM

i agree with most here but not all

tayanddyl
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM

LOL!  Guilty of many of those

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)