Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

How do you make reading and building fun? (UPDATED WITH VIDEO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Helping your child learn to listen and build can be tough but it doesn't have to be. We gave 40 CafeMom members one Read & Build set from Lego Duplo and asked them to try it with their toddler. With the new Read & Build sets, Lego Duplo is helping moms read to their children while helping them improve listening skills, memory, and accelerate learning. Check out this video and the comments on this post to see what our moms thought!

Tell us about your toddler. How do you make reading and building fun?

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Replies (41-50):
bamababe1975
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 8:57 AM

We sit down and play together, and blocks are definitely one of our favorite toys. To have some they can build with but still learn to read and such, too, would be just wonderful.

bamababe1975
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 8:58 AM

That sounds really cute! I think I'll be keeping my eye out for these as perfect Christmas gifts for the toddlers in my life. :)

Quoting SabrinaLC:

So, I was sitting here with my little guys and the door bell rang.  I wasn't expecting any company, just a delivery of some birthday gifts.  I was super surprised to see a box from CafeMom!

So I tore into it! Anything from CafeMom should be opened immediately!  

It was a Lego Duplo Read and Build Set.  Our Story was Grow Caterpillar Grow!  The cutest little story ever.  It is for ages 1 1/2 - 4 and contained one book and 17 duplo pieces.   All three of my boys (ages 2, 4 & 6) crowded around me as I opened the package.  The story was so cute and we built the insects right along with the story.  All boys sat quietly and listened as we read about the growing caterpillar (who also grew as we pieced him together with each page turn).  

if you have a little one that enjoys playing with Duplo blocks then this is a great thing to have.  We've read to our boys since they were tiny littles one (even when still in my belly!) so reading is a big part of our day.  This adds to the fun of reading and play time.  Thanks for this opportunity.

bamababe1975
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM

That's so cute!!

Quoting Jess7199:

We received our Grow Caterpillar Grow set on Wednesday.  We opened it up and all of my kids were excited to see what it was.  My 4 year old son was excited about the Lego's because he loves to build things.  I opened the book and started reading and after each page he couldn't wait to find the blocks he needed to build the animal on that page.  The book is colorful and easy to read. It's not too long and will keep your toddlers attention.  When put together the blocks make some super cute animals.  My son loved finding which color blocks he needed and following the picture on how to put it together.  After reading through once my 4 year old wanted his big brother who is 7 to read it to him as he put the blocks together.  My 7 year old took it a step further and read the book but made my 4 year old repeat every word after him.  He had to pronounce each word correctly or he wouldn't move on to the next word.  LOL!  This is important for my 4 year old though because he's in speech therapy. Overall, I think this is a great product and will definitely be recommending it to my friends and family and buying as gifts. Thanks Cafemom and Lego!

HannahC
by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Hi. I am Hannah, and I received the Let's Go! Vroom! Read and Build Lego Duplo set. My one year old liked messing with the legos for a little while, but my 4 year old really enjoyed herself. She usually prefers princess stories, but loved this one because she got to build a little lego airplane. My kids can barely sit still for stories sometimes, but giving them something do to go along with the story definitely helped. I agree with Jess7199, the book isn't too long, and my 6 year old loved reading it and helping his sister build as well. I will try to post a picture of them...

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Just got my little one legos for his birthday. He loves them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Cute!

Quoting MooNFaeRie30:

we recieved our set yesterday evening and my 3 year old dd could not wait to play with it. all she talked about was playing with her new "building blocks". and the first thing that she did when i came home from work was ask me if she could use them.

we got the "lets go! vroom!" set. it came with a board book and 12 blocks. the story was about helping penny and joe put their vehicles together and you put them blocks together to make an airplane and a race car. at then end they have a race.

my 3 year old loved "helping" the characters and the directions in the story were easy to follow. she only had trouble figuring out one piece and that is not bad at all. she was taking any piece she was unsure of and mathing it with the picture in the book. her birthday is coming up so i think i am going to get her the other 2 sets.

thank you lego and cafemom for giving us this opportunity!

here are a couple of pictures.

daerca574
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I could read to my son all day every day.  he loves it!

elasmimi
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I have been lucky, she has always enjoyed having me read to her.

MamaBear2cubs
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Really cute!

Quoting Jess7199:

We received our Grow Caterpillar Grow set on Wednesday.  We opened it up and all of my kids were excited to see what it was.  My 4 year old son was excited about the Lego's because he loves to build things.  I opened the book and started reading and after each page he couldn't wait to find the blocks he needed to build the animal on that page.  The book is colorful and easy to read. It's not too long and will keep your toddlers attention.  When put together the blocks make some super cute animals.  My son loved finding which color blocks he needed and following the picture on how to put it together.  After reading through once my 4 year old wanted his big brother who is 7 to read it to him as he put the blocks together.  My 7 year old took it a step further and read the book but made my 4 year old repeat every word after him.  He had to pronounce each word correctly or he wouldn't move on to the next word.  LOL!  This is important for my 4 year old though because he's in speech therapy. Overall, I think this is a great product and will definitely be recommending it to my friends and family and buying as gifts. Thanks Cafemom and Lego!

katz
by New Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

We were lucky to become a cafemom influencer and received the Lego Duplo Read and Build  Busy Farm. I opened up the toy with my 3 and 6 year old. They both were very excited to see the lego pieces with the book. The book is a great size and has nice big and bright pictures. It was fun to read the story then follow the easy to put together lego animals. The lego animals really made the story fun to read and made them more involved in  the story which was great. My 3yr old and 6 yrs old really enjoyed it.  The age on the pacakges starts at 1 1/2 which I think is great. A fun  to read  book for toddlers, they can feel involved in the story with the lego pieces and be introduced to following directions with the couple lego pieces being put together. I have a niece turing 2 this month and think this would make a great gift!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN