Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

Almost losing a child......

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM
  • 27 Replies

I have a two year old daughter named Zoey and Diamond who is my three years old daughter, we found are selfs in a very bad situation this morning. My fiance (kids dad)  had woke up this morning to use the restroom and he heard a cry from the girls room. So he checks on them to see why they were crying, he found his self in a state of shock. My two year Zoey had hung herself.

This is how it happend so please anyone who reads this take it to the heart.

We bought the girls a twin size bed yesterday and set it up, so last night was the first night in it. The bed was against the window and wall. Some how they managed to get the string to the blind down and had knots in it. Zoey had it wrapped around her neck twice.

I rushed to the hospital she was as white as white comes. No color to her skin anywhere. I was teriffied to say the least. She was checked out by doctors and the only concern was that she had a 1st degree burn around her neck. But other then that doctors said she should make a full recovery. I was able to bring my daughter home from the hospital with me.

Now where we are from that mean the hospital has to get children services involved. I know I it was just a freak accident but still I don't want to be associated with them.

Know I have some questions...

Has anyone ever had this happen to a younger child? And how on earth do you cope with something like this.? Everytime I walk in the room this horrilbe feeling comes over me and I just break in to tears. Someone please help me....

I will add some pics that was taken earlier this evening

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
danasue6
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Never been in that situation, but thank the lord she is ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:26 PM

You need to get those blinds down ASAP.  Find some other covering for the window is a necessity.  I am glad she is ok.  Just make sure the blinds are changed by the time DCF arrives and that will show them that you are taking an active role in trying to make sure that this doesn't happen again.  Just do what they ask and it should go pretty smoothly.  If it doesn't seem to be going smoothly get an attorney before anything goes any further.  Good luck!

sunbunny2006
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM

The blinds came down right after I cut it off her neck. Thanks for the advice.

dream528
by Jen on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM

First off, I'm so sorry that you had such a scare!! My God, I'd be a wreck.  I'm glad that your little one is ok!!

I've never had a scare quite like that, thankfully.  But my (almost) 2 year old does like to play with the long cord to our verticals in the living room.  I caught her putting the cord around her neck to swing from it once and cut them short enough to where she can't reach them.  Scared the crap out of me when she did it, though.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably replace the blinds with some other fixture.  Of course you're still going to worry...I think that's just going to take some time.

*hugs*

keeckhardt
by Kat on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I'm glad she is fine. I have never had to deal with child services. I have blinds in my bathroom and kitchen but immediately cut the cords short.

elasmimi
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Good idea, even if DCF was not involved. (about the blinds). I never put my kids bed close to them, and I drape the cords at the top of the window. If I had it to do over, now that I have seen your pics, I would use shades.

Quoting coala:

You need to get those blinds down ASAP.  Find some other covering for the window is a necessity.  I am glad she is ok.  Just make sure the blinds are changed by the time DCF arrives and that will show them that you are taking an active role in trying to make sure that this doesn't happen again.  Just do what they ask and it should go pretty smoothly.  If it doesn't seem to be going smoothly get an attorney before anything goes any further.  Good luck!

PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:41 PM

I lost my cat because he got strangled by miniblind cords.  I had them tied up out of the way and some how they came down.  I woke up to find him dead with the cord tight around his neck.  I replaced those blinds with vertical blinds and wands.  It happend 14 years ago and it still makes me sick when I think about it.

Bmat
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Amen!

Quoting danasue6:

Never been in that situation, but thank the lord she is ok.

Bmat
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I am sorry. It is hurtful to lose a furry family member in such a way.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I lost my cat because he got strangled by miniblind cords.  I had them tied up out of the way and some how they came down.  I woke up to find him dead with the cord tight around his neck.  I replaced those blinds with vertical blinds and wands.  It happend 14 years ago and it still makes me sick when I think about it.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Thank you.

Quoting Bmat:

I am sorry. It is hurtful to lose a furry family member in such a way.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN