Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

My Screaming 15 Month old is Driving Me Crazy!

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:02 AM
  • 6 Replies

I love my son to death and he is such a sweet little boy, however these past few days he has been having screaming fests that last for hours. Nothing has really changed in our schedule. I have an older daughter who is turning four in September and we just brought home our newest baby girl from the hospital three weeks ago. My friends have thought that the issue was that he was still getting used to the new baby. I could understand that, but it started happening three weeks after our baby girl came home. Could it still be the adjustment period? Or something else? I am tempted to bring him to the doctor's office, but do not want to just be told that it is normal or something along those lines. My daughter never had screaming fests when she was a year old, or ever. Is there anything that can be done? Or just let him scream until he tires himself out? We really would like to be able to go out again (he screams when you hold him, when you put him down, in the stroller, with and without his pacifier, in the truck, during meals, etc...). Is this just a stage?

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
NewMom333
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not a doctor, and my first thought would be for you to talk to his pediatritian about it. But I still think its because of the new baby. He's probably getting to the point where he now really realizes te baby isn't going to leave. What he knew of life is now a bit different and I'd think giving it some more time would be good. Also try to spend some alone time with him. My 3 year old took about 3 months of being out of sorts and would ask for me to talk his brother back :/ 8 months later they are always playing (and fighting) but hes his old self :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Good advice...totally agree here!  Hugs mama and good luck!

Quoting NewMom333:

I'm not a doctor, and my first thought would be for you to talk to his pediatritian about it. But I still think its because of the new baby. He's probably getting to the point where he now really realizes te baby isn't going to leave. What he knew of life is now a bit different and I'd think giving it some more time would be good. Also try to spend some alone time with him. My 3 year old took about 3 months of being out of sorts and would ask for me to talk his brother back :/ 8 months later they are always playing (and fighting) but hes his old self :)

erikays
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM
It's probably the new baby. My younger two are 19 months apart and my middle child had the hardest time adjusting, like a few months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
keeckhardt
by Kat on Aug. 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I would guess it is the new baby. My 4 year old took a couple of months to fully adjust to having a baby sister.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darbyakeep45
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Hope today is a better day for you mama!

GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM

I agree that it's probably the new baby. My daughters are 21 months apart and my oldest started becoming more whiny and throwing fits. I started giving her more choices to make her feel more grown-up (asking her what shoes she wanted to wear, what clothes, did she want this to eat or that, did she want to go to that park or this park, etc). I also made sure to have some one-on-one time with her as well. It did help that she was obsessed with babies (still is-lol) so I was able to get her involved with her little sister. Asking her if she could get the diaper and wipes for me, if the baby cried during tummy time asking if she would lay in front of her and talk to her, telling her that the baby was going to learn how to talk, crawl, and walk from her, etc. Another thing you can look for too is to see if he's getting any new teeth. If he's getting molars in that can also make kids extra extra cranky.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)