Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

how to explain to my 2 and 3 year old that mommy is going to have another baby?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi, I am 2 months Pregnant with my 3rd and I would like some advise on how i can explain to my 2 little ones that mommy is going to have another baby. i would like them to at least understand a little that way they dont feel like one day i decided im going to bring a new baby home. especially to my youngest one bc he is still nursing. thank you in advance your your advise.

Janet <3

by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darbyakeep45
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I honestly don't know mama...congrats though!  I have a 4 year old special needs child, and he's our only one, so I have no experience with that, but wanted to send you hugs and wish you good luck!

Jules_
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM
I made them a part of my pregnancy. My daughters were 3 and 2 when I got pregnant with my daughter Mercy. I took them to appointments with me and let them hear the heartbeat and also the ultrasounds. When baby starting kicking they would sit with me just feeling the baby move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shani527
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I just told mine. That I was going to have a baby and that the baby grew in my tummy and that one day the baby will come out. As my belly grew I let them kiss and hug the belly. Feel the kicks. It wasnt that hard for mine to understand to be careful with mommy.

keeckhardt
by Kat on Aug. 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just tell them and involve them in the pregnancy as much as possible. My oldest was almost 4 when I got pregnant with DD. he asked for a baby sister for 2 years before we found out it was a girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I tell my little one baby is in my tummy. I tell him he is going to have a baby sister. I try to get him to feel heer kick, but it hasn't worked out yet. I am going to check and see if there is a book I can read him for his age. I'll let you know if I find one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica020410
by Jessica on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:23 AM
1 mom liked this

This...

Quoting Shani527:

I just told mine. That I was going to have a baby and that the baby grew in my tummy and that one day the baby will come out. As my belly grew I let them kiss and hug the belly. Feel the kicks. It wasnt that hard for mine to understand to be careful with mommy.

Jessica020410
by Jessica on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM
2 moms liked this

congratulations

GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter was 12 months when I became pregnant with her sister and all I did was talk about the baby a lot and got her involved in the pregnancy. I encouraged her to talk to the baby and give the baby hugs through my tummy. She would kiss my tummy and sing songs to the baby. The baby loved to kick her big sister's hand so that helped make it more real for her as well. Any time I saw other pregnant women-especially friends-I would tell her, "Look! She has a baby in her tummy too." If we knew someone that had a newborn baby I'd show her the baby and say, "See! Remember when I said ____ had a baby in her tummy? Well, now the baby has come out!" It definitely helped that she has always LOVED babies! The last few months I started telling her about what to expect when the baby decided it was time to come out. I told her how Grammy was going to come and watch her and that Mommy and Daddy would leave for the hospital. That she would spend a couple nights with Grammy and Papa and when the baby came out they would bring her to visit the baby in the hospital. Then I told her that we would take the baby home with us and come pick her up at Grammy and Papa's house. When the night came it was going so fast that we had no time to explain to Rachel what was going on. But as soon as the door closed behind us she turned to my mom and told her how I was going to go have the baby and that she was going to stay with them and that they had to bring her to visit the baby and then when we came home we'd pick her up too. When she came to the hospital she burst into the room, dropped the gift bag she was carrying on the floor, and cried excitedly, "Where's my baby!!" Lol! I became pregnant in February when the girls were still 1 and 3 and had a miscarriage a couple months later. They were both with me when I found out and they cried a little but went right to work comforting me and telling me how the baby is living in heaven with Jesus now. More so my 3 year old since she remembered all the baby stuff from her sister whereas there hadn't been as much time to really explain it to my 1 year old. Now I'm pregnant again and I'm just doing it the same way as before. The girls are 4 and 2 now and we talk about the baby a lot and they've started hugging and kissing the baby now and talking to him or her inside my tummy. So I guess for us at least the biggest thing is to just talk about it more than occasionally. Make the baby real and talk about him or her as a part of the family already. It may seem silly but when they say goodnight you can ask if they want to say goodnight or give hugs and kisses to the baby. When you're eating you can talk about how the baby eats the same food that you are eating because s/he is living inside your tummy. Talk about how the baby is so small right now but that the baby will grow bigger and bigger and bigger until s/he has grown enough that he can live outside your tummy and that when that happens-which won't be for a long time-he'll decide to come out. My daughters also love watching videos on youtube with me of babies inside the womb and of newborn babies. It helps them see what the baby looks like and how the baby is going to grow. :-)

erikays
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I just told them, my youngest was only 10 months old, so he didn't understand. I explained to them and involved them in everything. Congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillucky8
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
My 21 mo old used to kiss my belly and say baby, now she knows the baby is her brother, 13 days old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)