Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

Self Feeding

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM
  • 14 Replies
Does your toddler self feed well? Or do they need some help still? Mine does, but is quite messy with rice. He loves to eat by himself though. He just turned two also.
How about your child?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mustloveanimals
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

My little girl is turning two next month. She self-feeds fairly well, but she is very messy. It is all part of the process. The only thing is that I would really like to give her a cup to drink from with meals. She is great drinking from a cup, but at meal time she really enjoys putting her food in her drink. Then mess becomes an art form.

Anneliese's mompuppy

darbyakeep45
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Great progress!  Love her name by the way:)

Quoting mustloveanimals:

My little girl is turning two next month. She self-feeds fairly well, but she is very messy. It is all part of the process. The only thing is that I would really like to give her a cup to drink from with meals. She is great drinking from a cup, but at meal time she really enjoys putting her food in her drink. Then mess becomes an art form.

darbyakeep45
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Brady is almost 4 years old, but special needs and he doesn't self feed at all...he's mainly fed through a g-tube...we WILL get there one day though!

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Lol I think Braedyn would do the same with a cup! I give him one with a built in straw so he can't dump it, but he throws it down sometimes when he's had enough.

Quoting mustloveanimals:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyBeansMom
by Member on Aug. 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM
We mostly skipped baby food and went with the Baby Led Solids approach so she has been feeding herself since about 9 months. She is a surprisingly neat eater most of the time. (Occasionally she likes to do her hair with her mac-n-cheese, but mostly neat! LOL) She is still breastfed, too, but she handles a sippy cup or straw well. She gets frustrated with utensils pretty quickly and tosses them but she will get a few bites in with a fork first. Or she will pick the food up with one hand and put it on the fork but apparently that takes too long when she's hungry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
keeckhardt
by Kat on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Makayla refused baby food as an infant so she has been using her pinchers for a while. She mastered using a fork a little over a month ago.

mylilprincesses
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 11:25 PM

my oldest (4) feeds herself well..

my youngest (2).. still learning how to use utensils... and we don't do cups till they are 3 cause thats when they learn how to use utensils better and hold a cup better. :)

Abbie is 4 and Katelyn is 2

Jessica020410
by Jessica on Aug. 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM
My toddler self feeds, and surprisingly rarely gets messy. If she does, she freaks! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mattsmate
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Samara self feeds. She won't usually let us feed her.  She uses a spoon pretty well but forgets that things can fall off when it faces down. LOL! We have only given her a fork a few times. We are starting to work on that. She understand the stabbing concept of a fork though.  Cups - nope. Not without our help. She uses a sippy.

othermom
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:57 PM

She does okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)