Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

Boys will be boys...guns, wrestling etc

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have a day care in my home and I have a 6 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. I have a lot of experience with kids. I have worked in centers, at summer camps, private nanny, in home day care, blah blah blah. I know boys are more active, in general. They love to climb, jump, run etc. Is it wrong of me to limit these behaviors in my home? I feel like all they have been doing lately is shooting each other, killing people and acting like ninjas, cops etc. Is it wrong that I have them not do those things? I usually direct them to play with other toys like cars, building with blocks, coloring, dinosaurs and the list goes on. Everything always turns back into them killing and shooting (we don't have a single gun toy in our house). I know that this play isn't going to turn them into criminals, I just want to know if I'm being a fun-hater for limiting it.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
AvonCrystal
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I also  have a lot of experience in childcare and in my experience the more taboo you make it the more fun it must be.  I wouldn't completely do away with it but encourage other activities but do not mention no guns.  If you make a big deal about it they will want to do it.  My nephew had no gun toys and didn't watch anything with guns on tv but by the time he was 3 he  started gun play, it must be in the dna. 

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

With this I would also talk about how real cops don't want to shoot bad guys but sometimes have to. 

If a war game has been going too long  perhaps call them to the "peace treaty table"  you could maybe have some fun treats or toys they don't usually get and let them negotistr/trade for s peaceful resolution or a temporary one at least. 

Quoting AvonCrystal:

I also  have a lot of experience in childcare and in my experience the more taboo you make it the more fun it must be.  I wouldn't completely do away with it but encourage other activities but do not mention no guns.  If you make a big deal about it they will want to do it.  My nephew had no gun toys and didn't watch anything with guns on tv but by the time he was 3 he  started gun play, it must be in the dna. 

SpurgeonMom
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
i do not allow toy guns in my house and phrases like i shot you our i'm going to kill you anything negative i immediately get down to my sons level and give him a strike. 3 strikes equals either 3min of quiet time at the table or a toy being taken away. i do not tolerate violence
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM
I agree with these Ladies. I also love the suggestions!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinj
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM
I think it depends on the family... therefore school and daycare are not a place for gun play.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)