Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

Abnormal or Just Terrible 2's?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 1 Replies

My son is 19 months, so a little over a year and a half. I know a lot of babies talk, but it seems like mine is saying less than he was two months ago. He does know three languages, and I wonder if this is what is causing the issue, him not be being able to express himself. 

The Issue(s)

1. He pinches. I've tried ot get him to stop, but he still does it.

2. He throws fits... and nothing will console him. He is fussy and cries and I don't know what to do... He used to throw little tantrums and I'd ignore him and he'd stop, but now if he doesnt get what he want he just starts screaming and won't stop... and he can scream a long time, and he'll just be upset and stomp from room to room... He didnt used to do this and it drives me bonkers... 

3. He throws EVERYTHING. I'll tell him not to throw things, and to pick it up, and he'll pick it up only to throw it again... and if I take it away he starts screaming... 

4. I have a terrible time to get him to go to sleep. I co-sleep and some nights I can spend HOURS waiting for him to fall asleep, even if I know he's tired.

Is this normal??

He just says mama all the time, over and over and over again..... I'm glad he loves me but I wish he'd say something else, he used to say around 25 words, now I'm luck if he says three words a day, Just mama mama mama for everything... 

I feel helpless. 

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:52 AM

1) yes it is normal

2) sometimes you give him what he wants before allowing him to ask for it, so instead ask him what he would like.  If you ask him more questions, he will have more of a chance to give you an answer.

3) yes working on multiple languages at the same time delays their expertise in the desired one. 

4) Pinching--make a big to-do about it hurting and let him know it is unacceptable

5) throwing his fit is most likely because he cannot express his feelings or what he wants so try and voice them for him saying what would you like? I cant help you if you dont tell me what is bothering you.  You also may just have to walk away and ignore it until he calms down.  If you give into a tantrum, they will just continue

6) sleep--get a schedule and a routine and follow it.  He should still be sleeping at least 3 hours in the day.  You can push it to 1 a day and drop the morning nap but keep the afternoon nap.  as for getting him to sleep: a) still give him warm milk (brush teeth afterwards)  b) room darkening shades/curtain c) massage with lavender lotion  d) white noise such as classical music or a standing fan to buffer outside sound  e) a couple of books  f) cuddle time with his head on your chest so he can hear your heartbeat  g) give him something you have worn such as a sleep shirt so he has Mommy scent for comfort (separation anxiety starts at 18 months)  h) a lovey

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN