Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

Very frustrated with picky toddler (sippy cup related)

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hi, I am a mom of two boys, ages 2 and (almost 6).

My two year old, Colton is a very bright and cheery boy but has some HUGE issues with change.

For example, I have used the Gerber Nuk soft tipped sippy cup for him since he was about 5 months. I have tried to indroduce a straw, a hard tip sippy cup and even a regular cup and he has tried all three but it's almost as if he doesn't get how to do it. I've tried those begginer straws too, with no success.

I had bought another Gerber Nuk cup because I can't ever find replacement nipples for the darn thing so I have been just buying a new cup every so often. 

He doesn't adjust well to the new cups even though they are clearly the same thing, just another color. It took almost 3 weeks to try the new Nuk cup! I don't understand it.

gahh.. advice or tips needed if you have been through this :-(

Mommy to Aaron Michael 05.23.07 and Colton Calvin 11.30.10

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
newwifenmom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:54 PM

BUMP

Amberleigh81
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I have the opposite problem. My 17mo rejects all sippy cups if there is a "big person" cup or something new around. He doesn't ever want "his" cup. I have to drink from it just to get him to try it... :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mlamiller
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Annettey19
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I wish I could give more advice, but all I can say is to keep trying! Eventually it will probably click.

My son is only one, and he's drinking out of a soft straw cup. I'm not sure how the switch will go when he's old enough for a regular one.

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Maybe just keep trying? I think they get used to what is theirs and it might be a little hard to try something new...

AvonCrystal
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

He might not understand how to use the other cups.  With the soft top cups they can really just bite the thing and get it to come out, with straw cups and hard top cups he has to actually suck.  Try watching to see if he is just biting it, it might help you figure out how to teach him.  Also maybe bring him with you and let him pick a few cups, it might make him more excited to try them.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Apr. 23, 2013 at 2:31 AM

I just give regular cups if they are sitting and eating and a sippy if they are walking around/,oving, etc.  Eh, I have always bought multiples of things that they like and gradually introduced them such as switching to the new type of sippy once per day for a week and then twice per day for a week and so on.  Worked the same for whole milk and water, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)