Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

I have no patience for this...what do I do?

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 22 Replies

My son has been throwing alot of fits the past few months. He is turning 17 months old Nov 21 and his dr says its early terrible twos. He throws himself down, throws things. If I'm not heating his lunch fast enough he starts crying and hitting the floor. He bites out of spite. I am to the point where I dont know what to do with him anymore and I want to cry all the time.

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this

it is just a phase, distract him with something else while you are doing things, or get on a schedule to anticipate what his needs will be in regards to meals and snacks.  They really like bubbles at that age!  While I was making meals, etc. I would put a large piece of paper down and give them paint and let him go to town (if he eats everything, add some coloring to pudding or yogurt).

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I would also put mine in the highchair and add some water to the tray part, throw in some plastic toys and SPLASHY TOWN! 

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I would also have a smell and taste session of various spices and food items while I made the meals.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:00 AM

a couple of pots and pans and a couple of spoons, etc. and you have your own little drum session

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:01 AM

a couple of cans and your own makeshift blocks for stacking or  bowling

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:03 AM

he is throwing tantrums because he doesnt know the words to use to express what is wrong or why he is upset, so start teaching him the words to express his feelings and/or the facial gestures with flashcards, etc.

kailu1835
by New Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:05 AM
You can't control the tantrum, but you can control the location. Remove yourself from the location. Lock yourself in your room if you have to, and ignore him completely until he is quiet. My daughter doesn't even bother anymore and she is 4. Since about age 2, any time she starts to tantrum, I just look away from her and she flings herself into her room.
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:06 AM

check for teeth as well--they have teethers that can be frozen, which are great.  Also the next bout of stranger and separation anxiety starts at 18 months so be prepared!

CmC1307
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Time outs! i'm huge on them if you have a staircase use the bottom step or get a little stool or something to use and always go to the same spot. Make him say sorry and or give you a hug before he can get up. Stick with it and after a while all you'll have to say is do you need a time out and they will stop immediately i swear it really helps ! Thats why all those nanny shows use them.

JRSMOM0621
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I have him in the high chair while cooking and let him pick out the sides for dinner, even let him stack the cans, pots, pans, mixing bowls....nothing seems to work. i havent tried the water yet but he does dump his water out of his sippy which we have tried to make him stop doing. He tends to stand up in his high chair so I have stopped putting him in it all together

Quoting MixedCooke:

I would also put mine in the highchair and add some water to the tray part, throw in some plastic toys and SPLASHY TOWN! 

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)