Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

What to give a 2 yr old to drink?

Posted by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM
  • 8 Replies

At my dd's 2 yr appt, I had asked the dr what she could drink. The dr responded that she could drink anything (flavored water, water, tea- decaf and unsweet, diluted juice, milk).

On the Milk spectrum, I had clarified how much dd should drink- no more than 1 qt (4 cups) a day.

Last night upon picking up dd from my MIL, she asked why dd cannot have more milk, and I explained what the dr had told me, and I added on that too much milk might create an intolerence to the milk. This is not the first time she had asked about the amount of milk she can consume.

I'd like to point out the following:

- Dd does drink quite a bit of juice, but when I give her the diluted juice it tends to be 75% (or more) water and 25% (or less) juice. When DH makes the juice, it is at least 50/50.
- Dd does not like to drink plain water.
- Dd probably does not get the 1qt max of milk per day- not all sippy cups are created equally.
- On rare occasions does she get to sample soda. We don't have soda in the house and it is a treat when we go out to eat.
-Juices we use (from most used to least): Mott's Apple Juice (Original not Mott's for Tot's), Welches Grape (white and regular), Snapple.

My MIL is concerned about the amount of sugar that is in the juice, and that the acid is bothering her skin. I looked at the juice we have given her and the sugars are listed anywhere between 26-36g's per 8 oz serving (undiluted), or in the case of Snapple 58g's for the entire 20oz bottle (undiluted).

With all this information, what can I give our daughter to drink so that my MIL will "get off my back" about trying to find her something else to drink, or push to give her more milk?

MIL stated that "milk is so good for her," and I'm confused and trying to just listen to what the dr said.

by on Nov. 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CmC1307
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM

we only do milk or water - milk with meals, water in between however sometimes we will throw a splash of pedialite in her water to flavor it but just a little bit like a shot glass amount mixed with water and she sucks it down. We do not and will not do juice in our house. I would try adding a little bit of pediatlite in instead of juice :) just a suggestion

chicaespana2003
by New Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:32 AM

When our dd was sick earlier this year, we tried giving her pedialite- she refused to drink it.

Quoting CmC1307:

we only do milk or water - milk with meals, water in between however sometimes we will throw a splash of pedialite in her water to flavor it but just a little bit like a shot glass amount mixed with water and she sucks it down. We do not and will not do juice in our house. I would try adding a little bit of pediatlite in instead of juice :) just a suggestion

CmC1307
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:38 AM

what kind? Our DD love the grape or apple but hates all the other ones

Quoting chicaespana2003:

When our dd was sick earlier this year, we tried giving her pedialite- she refused to drink it.

Quoting CmC1307:

4girlsmum
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Tell your MIL that YOU get to decide what your daughter drinks, I have 5 kids and they have never had milk, and I have never heard of acid in juice(other than citrus juices) affecting a child's skin, milk can cause a lot of mucous build up and cause sinus and ear infections(gross)......

tardiskitty
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Start her drinking water now! If you don't it will just be harder with time. My mom never gave me water and now I hate it, I know its super good for your body and skin but I have to force it down. I started my DD on lots of water and milk, rarely juice and almost never soda. Now she actually enjoys water.
Dee0886
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

My kids have milk with breakfast and sometimes with dinner but usually diluted juice with lunch and dinner, water in between.

JRSMOM0621
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Tell your MIL to give her what you give her at home. It is your daughter. The only time our son gets milk is for breakfast and sometimes he wants one before his nap. He gets half a sippy of juice the rest is cold water from the fridge and he seems to enjoy drinking that. For the life of me I cant get him to drink straight water nor can I get him to drink that pedi stuff. Now he has had snapple teas again dulited and sometimes he gets unsweetened lipton from my parents house but that is on a rare occasion.

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
Tckosdk.2012
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I would just stick to the watered down juice & milk. Keep in mind that no one needs milk though. As long as she's getting calcium & vitamin D from other sources Milk isn't needed & frankly not healthy. It's just an easy way to get calcium into your diet but you can get a lot of calcium from cheese & yogurt. Vitamin D from the sun. You can try almond milk too. My dd loves almond milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)