Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

help. me.

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:03 AM
  • 3 Replies
I know it's a normal tot phase. I do, I get it.

For the love of all that is good and holy, how do I get through this sudden fear of monsters???

No. He does not watch anything inappropriate for his age. The only time he's heard the WORD "monster " except" for Monsters Inc. ( he 'a three)

No. No one threatens him with a boogeyman or any type of cruel threats regarding imaginary creatures that go bump in the night,

I have the outside environment fears under control. He knows monsters just aren't allowed in our house . Like bugs. He knows that I just won't ALLOW " them" in my house. I say this in an authoritative voice. We have Monster Spray
( half water half fabreeze in a spray bottle)

What I CAN NOT CONTROL is his " imagination station" every night for a over a week, he has awakened screaming his head of from a nightmare involving a monster.

This can happen any time in the night. Now I can quickly get him back to sleep, a calm word some water and down he goes, but them I'm up from adrenaline as I suffer from insomnia anyway.

I'd guesstimate I've had 14 hrs. sleep in the past 8 days.

He 's not a newborn so no " welcome to motherhood " replies, please.

I'm not going to tell him there are no such thing as monsters because I know, right now for him, there are. To him it is not an irrational fear.
Heck! To ME, they aren 't am irrational fear because " they" wake me up every night! :'-(

I just need to know if there is anything I 'm NOT doing that could help and / or how long this phase lasts? My older son did not suffer from nightmares and he's 14 so I am at a loss as to how to help him feel secure enough that I can get a full night's sleep so that oh, idk I could be a NICER person in general?

I am so very tired.
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Momofmenagerie
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:30 AM
Bump
masesmom
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:48 PM

I am not sure how old your son is, but perhaps having very open conversations with him about exactly his fears and concerns. While being honest about monsters not being real. But parts of stories that we make up in our heads. I worry that by saying they aren't allowed in the house that he may begin to fear the outer world and that there mayb be monsters outside. I feel like you should try to instill in him that monsters the way he is seeing them are not real.

Maybe together you can draw the monsters as he is picturing them. Help him describe them and you can draw them out on paper and color them. Maybe you could make up a silly story to go along with the picture. Make a "joke" out of monsters obviously without making him feel like his emotions are something to joke about.  As far as night waking, I am not sure. A nightlight or soft radio with music might relax his mind in the night. I don't know. Good luck!!

Newmommys101
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM

ask him what is bothering him, monster inc is a bad movie if you think about it, it teachs our children that monster can be nice and can be scary but we dont know which ones come out of our closest at night I would stay far away from that movie and toys. My son finally told me it was shadows of things in his room that was bothering him he tought they were monsters so we moved a few things around and got a night light he sleeps much better now

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)