Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

Too smart to potty....

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM
  • 8 Replies

My two year old is brilliant.. He picks up on things quickly, very smart little guy but he will not potty. We have tried EVERYTHING... the cheerio thing, standing up to potty versus sitting down, we went from giving him treats to more extravagant gifts lol and nothing works.. Do any of you have any suggestions.

Let me say, I understand he is two and I am not trying to rush him to be potty trained tomorrow, but I think he should at least be pee peeing in the potty. He knows where hes supposed to use the potty he just wont go..

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Sammie0402
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM
It sounds like he's not ready. And the more you push the more stubborn he's likely to become. My son was the same way and they know it upsets you when they don't use the potty- almost like they are testing us!
What I did that helped was I stopped with the rewards completely and I stopped asking him, I ignored the whole potty situation. Instead my husband and I would announce when
We had to go and then while we were in the restroom my son would follow and we would just say out loud (not to our son but just talking aloud) about how cool it is to use the big potty and all the big people and big kids use it- it helps if you can relate it to a cousin or friend that's using the potty. I would talk about what a big boy my nephew is who was the same age because he used the big boy potty. Seriously within a week he was peeing in the toilet! Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaidensMommy621
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Quoting Sammie0402: It sounds like he's not ready. And the more you push the more stubborn he's likely to become. My son was the same way and they know it upsets you when they don't use the potty- almost like they are testing us!
What I did that helped was I stopped with the rewards completely and I stopped asking him, I ignored the whole potty situation. Instead my husband and I would announce when
We had to go and then while we were in the restroom my son would follow and we would just say out loud (not to our son but just talking aloud) about how cool it is to use the big potty and all the big people and big kids use it- it helps if you can relate it to a cousin or friend that's using the potty. I would talk about what a big boy my nephew is who was the same age because he used the big boy potty. Seriously within a week he was peeing in the toilet! Good luck!

Ok, that sounds like a great idea, and I'm definitely going to take your advice and just ignore the whole potty thing. Wish me luck!! :)

How old was your son when he was fully potty trained?

Sammie0402
by New Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM
He was completely potty trained by three. We didn't start until a few months before then though. Pooping is the hardest, really. Good luck, I hope everything works out :)

Quoting KaidensMommy621:

Quoting Sammie0402: It sounds like he's not ready. And the more you push the more stubborn he's likely to become. My son was the same way and they know it upsets you when they don't use the potty- almost like they are testing us!

Ok, that sounds like a great idea, and I'm definitely going to take your advice and just ignore the whole potty thing. Wish me luck!! :)

How old was your son when he was fully potty trained?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ronita123
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Have you seen this new method to start potty training in a fun way, this is what i stumbled upon training my baby, Potty Training  

masesmom
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 11:59 PM

I don't think that it is unrealistic to have those expectations, espcially if you have the abilities to be consistent with him and look for "potty" cues. I think that the above poster had great advice in announcing when you were going to use the bathroom and talk about going! Great idea! I had both my boys fully potty trained just before they were two. I don't know if I got lucky or the way I did it just worked. They were very easy.

I actually started with pooping. It sounds wierd but I would look for cues. As soon they would express any kind of "I have to poop cues" I would sit them on the potty, I would hang out there and tak to them or even hand them a book to look at. Even if you notice your child poops at a certain time of day you can set them on the potty just for the experience. If they poop they poop. When my youngest was prbly about 17 mo, I noticed that he would always poop after his morning "snack" in his high chair, so routinely I began having him sit on the potty after every morning snack time. Most of the tme he would poop, sometimes he would start pooping first and finish on the toilet. The peeing just came naturally I felt like, because we got the pooping out of the way first. I probably have more advice on this if you have more questions. I never did need to use rewards.

crystalplus1
by Member on Feb. 25, 2014 at 12:03 PM

yeah, ds is about to be 3, we got him a potty a little over a year ago, he will not use it, he has a few times and will use the big potty before bath time. Other than that he has been showing more of an interest, but only if he can be completely nude from the waist down. smh. You cant push it it has to be something they want to do ir it is not gonna happen. Good luck.

Newmommys101
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Do you use diapers still? or pull ups? I went straight to underwere my son hated being wet so I put him in underwere during the day and a couple times getting wet he figured it out.

Mrs.Bolin
by on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:27 PM

If he hasn't got into it by now then i highly suggest Potty Power. Its a dvd on amazon.com that shows real kids sitting on the toilet and potty. Very cheesey but my kids love it and it helped alot when i was potty training my daughter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)