Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

19 month old refusing naps

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM
  • 3 Replies

My 19 month old has been in this no nap for 3 or 4 days then sleeping practically all day for the next 2 days. Then back to not napping the next 3 or 4. How do I make this cycle stop? If he doesnt want a nap I'm not going to force him, but wow some days I can just tell he needs to take a nap.

For example today he is wide awake, hyper and extremely fussy. Asked me twice to go to sleep. I took him upstairs laid him down with soft music and he is upstairs playing in his room destroying everything. He is in a toddler bed and this is making me crazy. Tonight he'll want to nap at 5pm right during dinner time, then will be up at 7/7:30 and not want to go to bed till 9 or later.

I am trying so hard to break this habit before my second is born but I am having no luck. Please help.

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
poison_ivy85
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:52 AM

It sounds almost like my daughter, although she has never been one for sleep even in the beginning. I dont know how what to do either, it seems like they will do this at 19 months that is how old my daughter is too. All we can do i think is have patience and let it run its course. i know Anna is tierd but we cant make them sleep! she takes no naps i try to lay her down at 8 for bed but she ends up till 9/10oish and gets up through out the night just to get back up at 6 if not sooner and stays up all day, so i know what you mean, her ped said that all kids go through this fase differently

Newmommys101
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 11:07 PM

by 12 months my daughter never took naps anymore. She would never sleep at night if she did or she would do like you are says and take no naps and then sleep forever the next day. What I did was she didnt want a nap then fine she didnt get naps. The days she wanted to take a nap I didnt let her I just let her go to bed a little earlier the normal and we got up a little later the next day.  Kids dont have to have naps if they sleep well at night and the bedtime doesnt have to be set in stone.

crystalplus1
by Member on Apr. 12, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Yeah, DS stoped napping all the time at that age. Shes trying to cut the nap out, but still needs extra sleep. Try putting her to bed an hour early, it might help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN