Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

A case of the terrible two's......

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 1:07 PM
  • 1 Replies

Is anybody dealing with this?  I love my daughter, but sometimes I think she tests my patience. Is it crazy to believe that kids are smarter than we think and they do things just to piss us off? 

Any advice? 

-Ashley

by on May. 8, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Lcherniske
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Yes, my 2 1/2 year old has been quite difficult recently- throwing a lot of tantrums. For mine I think it is the combination of frustration and lack of patience while trying to acquire new skills. He barely turned 2 1/2 and last month I finally weaned him fully and then we have been working on potty training and wearing underwear at home. He is also behind on speech so sometimes when he starts to throw a fit I can prompt him 1 word at a time to say what he wants. He is having a hard time with transitions and to help him sit on the potty I let him watch YouTube or play kids games/ movie on my I- pod and he gets upset when time to turn it off. Honestly, lately if nothing works I just put him in a safe place and walk away- ex. In his room. Usually after 1 min. He realizes I am gone and stops throwing a tantrum- when he is just whining I ask him if he wants a hug and will be nice and hold him. I have read that rocking motion and sucking out of a straw helps so trying that sometimes since I tend to forget now he is older. There is a really good book called, " raising your spirited child." By Mary sheedy kurcinka and it also has a workbook you can get- I love it. I am a behavioral therapist for children with developmental delays ( mainly autism spectrum) but it is much harder with your own children. Also, many times after mine throws a tantrum he falls asleep in the car so he was tired and I didn't know ( or hungry). Mine also does much better when he can play outside a lot- weather has been bad lately so I just made the connection. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)