Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All about Toddlers All about Toddlers

At a loss anymore

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM
  • 2 Replies

my son just turned two in March.  I have heard all the horror stories about the terrible twos but I never expected this and I just don't know what to do anymore.  He fights about everything with me.  I try to give him chances to make his own decisions, little things like what he wants for lunch or a snack and such.  But no matter how hard I try I can't get him to listen to me.  He kicks, bites, pinches, hits, headbutts and whatever else he can manage.  I feel like he doesn't care and like I'm never going to get him to behave.  when his dad leaves, as soon as that door closes his personality does a 180 and I don't know why.  He listens to his dad for the most part.  I mean occasionally he'll be disobediant but not much, you know just fighting bedtime and eating all of his dinner but it's not that bad when he fights his dad.  I just don't know what to do.  I feel so hopeless.  I cry everyday because I feel so lost.  Just last night he threw his full sippy cup on my foot because I was trying to make him stay in bed and I'm pretty sure now that it is fractured.  That's the second time he's done that.  I just feel like he hates me.  What should I do?

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
frankiesma530
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 2:25 PM

When my son is being bad/rude/tantrumming, I ignore him. It takes a long time to get the patience to tune it out but when I don't feed into his behavior, he will stop. I don't know if that would work in your situation but that's what I do :( Oh and next time he throws something at you, don't give it back. I hope you can figure out what will work for your son.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 2:26 AM

1) give him 2 options when it comes to deciding on food, clothes, playtime, etc.  2) he should still be taking a nap  3) regarding favoring his Dad, generally a child will favor the parent they see the least  4) do NOT give in to his tantrum  5) start timeouts--1 min per year of age--give a warning, explain why, put him in timeout (even if you have to do it 100 times, keep doing it until he actually stays), set the timer, explain again why he was put  there, have him apologize and then hug it out  6) work on his vocabulary using flashcards, early learning DVDs/programs and/or songs to express what he wants to say/feeling  versus resorting to throwing something  7) sleep schedule/routine so he knows what to expect and will wind down on his own so bedtime is less of a battle.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN