Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our Little Miracle

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 2:53 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 536 Total Views
Our Little Miracle!Roland Cayne shows        On Feb. 6, 2007 was the happiest day of my life. We got to the hospital at about 5:00 that morning.Nicole (my sister) asked the nurse if I would have him today, she said by the end of the day I was so excited. I had already had two misscarriages and couldn't wait for my little man. The whole time I was pregnant I didn't care if it was a boy or girl my only prayer was that our baby would be healthy. When I was pushing they had to put oxygen on me they said his heart rate was a little high. I had my little man at 6:30 that night. He was 8lb.7oz.We were so happy we couldn't stop grinning.       Later on that night Slugger's momma was holding him she noticed that he was sweating and a littlebit blue around the mouth. The nurse came and got him to take him to the nursery. She assured us everything was fine she told the other nurse "he is a 37 weeker"( she thought that was why he was sweating). The pediatrician (Dr. Merritt) called the neonatolagist (Dr. White) because Cayne's oxygen sats where in the 60's (they are supposed to be 95-100). Dr. White ordered a echocardiogram and sent it to Jackson. He came in to tell us that the flight crew was on their way to get Cayne because Forrest General was not equipped to care of him. We couldn't do anything but cry and pray he looked perfect how could something be wrong? The next morning my doctor was nice enough to discharge me so we could go be with him. We left as soon as possible. When we got to the hospital and went in to see him the nurse told us he was critical but stable. He was hooked up to a respirator and had wires everywhere. Later on that day the cardiologist (Dr. Ebeid) came to talk to us. He told us that Cayne had a heart defect (Pulmonary Atesia w/ Intact ventricular septum). This means that his pulmonary valve is closed and his right ventricle is not the size it should be. Dr. Ebeid told us about the procedure he planned to do to correct the problem (balloon valvotomy). This was just a procedure not surgery so that made me feel better. Dr. Ebeid attempted the procedure on Feb. 12, 2007. While attempting the procedure Cayne went into cardiac arrest, he stayed very sick for the rest of the day and thoughout the night and even the next day. The procedure did not work so they planned to send us to Ohio to another children's hospital that speacialized in heart patients we where going to leave the next morning. Only one parent could fly with him, we spent all day trying to decide how to get up there. The weather did not permit for the plane to come get him that morning so they planned for the next morning. Later on that night his oxygen sats dropped extremely low  along with the rest of his vital signs.Despite the medication they where giving him to keep the PDA  (the only way blood was getting to his lungs) open it was contracting and trying to close down the medication was not working any more. Dr. Ebeid took him back to the cath lab for the second time, this time he also went into cardiac arrest. The only option left was emergency surgery this was to place a BT shunt in Cayne's heart so he would have enough blood going to his lungs to live. Dr. Mehta, the surgeon, came to tell us how extemely high risk the surgery was because of his age, how sick he was, and because it was emergency surgery and wasn't planned. He told us we might want  to see him before the surgery. This was Cayne's last option this surgery had to be done to try to save him. I remember thinking they are pretty much telling us that he wasn't going to make it. I had been telling Slugger that we just had to keep the faith in God that God was the only one that could heal him. At this time I was in pieces I didn't know what to think. All I could do was think of the bad things that could happen. Slugger told me to remember what I had told him earlier "keep the faith in God he is the only  one who can heal him." We prayed and prayed for Cayne, Nicole called everyone and got prayer chains started. Dr. Ebeid came to tell us that the surgery was going good so far, then later to tell us that the surgery was finished and everything went well. We stopped right there and thanked God for what he had done. We got a glimpse of Cayne as he was going from surgery to the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit/ critical care). When the nurse came to get us to see him I was so happy I don't really know what I was expecting, I guess I was expecting to see him resting peacfully waiting on us, that was not the case. They had to leave his chest open because he was so swollen. He was on the respiratory again. He had several monitors and wires hooked to him and he was on several IV medacines.He was scheduled to go to Ohio the next morning but because of the surgery he would not have to go. God works in mysterious ways the weather in Ohio was terrible the airports shut down the morning he was scheduled to go to Ohio ( so they wouldn't have been able to come get him anyways), they where having a blizzard, and it would have been very dangerous for us to try to go and we more than likely would've got stuck at an airport or on the road somewhere. That just goes to show God has control of things. God scheduled Cayne's surgery when he knew it would be best for him.     Cayne stayed in PICU for two weeks everyday we could see improvement and everyday we prayed. They had to leave his chest open for one week after his surgery because of the swelling.Because of this it made him more open to get infection and for him to get any kind of infection would be very bad ,some infections travel in your blood and this could cause the infection to go straight to his heart. Thankfully, by the Grace of God, he did not get and infection. His chest was closed and that was another accomplishment. He got weaned off the respirator very easy again that was by the Grace of God.            God brought our little man back to us, now he is our little miracle. I have always been raised in church and been taught right from wrong and how to live. But going though something like this will truly make you a believer , it will make you see the power God has. God is the only one who is capable of doing something like this. I pray every day for my little miracle. The doctors say that they still have to try to open that pulmonary valve. They are undecided on how they are going to try and open the valve either by the cath lab or another surgery. If the valve can't be opened they say he will have to have at least to more surgeries. We give God all the glory. His Grace and Mercy is why our baby is here with us, we got to come home on March 12, 2007. Every minute with him is truly a blessing from God. I believe that everything happens for a reason and I believe that God used this as a way to get our attention. We (me and Slugger) have never been so close to God or prayed so much together the whole time we have married. God has a plan for Cayne we don't see it right now but we will. thank you all so much for the prayers and thoughts. Please continue to pray for Cayne. I pray that God will touch and heal Cayne I know that he can do it without surgery but if not God can use the doctors to heal him, either way it will be God. Please pray for me and Slugger that we will continue to be strong through this, and become better and stronger Christians, and that we will grow closer to God. Please send this to everybody you know and if they don't have e-mail ask them to pray for our baby. Prayer is why Cayne is here today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you very much,and God Bless You,    Cayne, Slugger, and Christie Shows

P.S. If anyone knows anything about PA w/IVS please message me and tell me about it.

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at AOL.com.
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 2:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
n2kmommeof3
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 5:36 PM

isn't it ammazing how tough these little babies are? they go through so much when they are so small. good luck to u and yr family!!!

brooksktm
by Member on Mar. 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM
Wow it is alot like my daughters story. As far as open heart surgery at a young age, and leaving the chest open! It is amazing the miracles that are with us today. I am so lucky to have one of my ow, Thanks for sharing your storey. it was great!
mamatoheartbaby
by Member on Apr. 29, 2007 at 11:27 PM
What an amazing little man you have! These kids are so tough....thanks for sharing your story.
Katysmom
by Member on Apr. 30, 2007 at 12:25 AM
I am so glad God is good! We all have such special little ones!
jennl1976
by New Member on May. 23, 2007 at 10:44 PM

I have a little miracle man of my own. I was told to have an abortion because my little Colton wasn't going to live,(I found out a 16 weeks he was missing his right ventricle). Now, at 2 1/2 yrs old, you could never guess he is fixing to have his 2nd open heart surgery. God works wonders....glad you have a happy ending too..

rosebud724
by on Jun. 11, 2007 at 5:29 AM

I have two miracle babies.
Both my kids have pulmonary atresia.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)