Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bread Thread

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 191 Total Views

Post all about your breads or ask questions about bread, or answer questions others ask about bread!!!

Do you Farm?Homeschool? Have a large family? Sew? Are you Earth Friendly? Believe in traditional family values and living?Check out my new group: Just click here!

by on Dec. 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamaoftwingles
by Group Admin on Dec. 11, 2008 at 1:28 PM

I need HELP with bread!  I have a good recipe (standard recipe) but it comes out heavy.   I don't know if it has to do with the amount of time I'm kneading.  The top doesn't turn nice and golden brown, it gets hard.   Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?  I knead until the dough is elastic and not sticky, then I let rise, punch down, put in loaf pans, let rise again and then bake.  I just am not sure what I'm missing.  I used to only use the bread maker... So the by hand thing is new to me.  And I'm seriously considering going back to the bread machine... I'm getting frustrated, but I like making two loaves at once.

Tis The Season To Be CARING!   Spread the Love!   angel

Jen ~ crunchy Christian farmgirl mama of three

insanitybeckons
by Group Admin on Dec. 11, 2008 at 2:20 PM

You got me sister...I'm scared of yeast all together hahahaa.  And I do have a bread machine but haven't figured out how to use it with measured ingredients vs boxed ready to go stuff.  The cookbook I have calls for a yeast I'm not familiar with...red something or other.  Anyone know what that means?  I'll have to get the book down for more info.

Leslillli
by Member on Dec. 11, 2008 at 2:28 PM

is it red star yeast? red star is aluminum free.

i make bread 2-3 times a week. i love it!! i did write a journal on making a basic white bread, photos and all. check it out!

i'm no pro but i can usually answer any basic bread question so feel free to ask!!

Leslillli
by Member on Dec. 11, 2008 at 2:34 PM

i would proof your yeast (put in warm water with a little sugar and let set, if it gets foamy its ok if not then you new to get new). also on the heavy part, you may be mixing in too much of the flour. does your recipe give you a flour range? it is best to stick to the lowest end if at all possible. when you knock on the top does it get a nice hollow sound? does your bread get hard after it is cooled? you can brush butter on the tops as soon as they get out of the oven to keep the crust softer, which is the way i like it.

on the rising, i do 3. the first one is about an hour, then a 10 minute rest after it's divided, i put it into pans then let it rise for 30 minutes.

i hope this helps and makes sense =)

Quoting Mamaoftwingles:

I need HELP with bread!  I have a good recipe (standard recipe) but it comes out heavy.   I don't know if it has to do with the amount of time I'm kneading.  The top doesn't turn nice and golden brown, it gets hard.   Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?  I knead until the dough is elastic and not sticky, then I let rise, punch down, put in loaf pans, let rise again and then bake.  I just am not sure what I'm missing.  I used to only use the bread maker... So the by hand thing is new to me.  And I'm seriously considering going back to the bread machine... I'm getting frustrated, but I like making two loaves at once.

Mamaoftwingles
by Group Admin on Dec. 11, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Thanks.  I try to bake twice a week, its been three times because I end up having to use the bread machine (I had an extra that I gave to a friend who didn't have one) and I like regular loaves, as opposed to the weird shaped bread maker loaves.... sigh.

I will try letting it rise three times.  I always proof yeast (a habit that actually annoys me sometimes, but its like an obsessive-compulsive thing).  I will also try using less flour.

Thanks for the tips!  We'll try it out this way!

Tis The Season To Be CARING!   Spread the Love!   angel

Jen ~ crunchy Christian farmgirl mama of three

insanitybeckons
by Group Admin on Dec. 11, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Quoting Leslillli:

i make bread 2-3 times a week. i love it!! i did write a journal on making a basic white bread, photos and all. check it out!

i'm no pro but i can usually answer any basic bread question so feel free to ask!!

It is red star.  Okay...dumb question...does it say red star on the package, or merely have a red star pic on the package.  I've seen the pic, but can't find anything that says "red star".  See...I say fear the yeast!!  hahaha.   With you ladies, I think I can conquer that fear!!

Leslillli
by Member on Dec. 11, 2008 at 5:12 PM

Quoting insanitybeckons:

Quoting Leslillli:

It is red star.  Okay...dumb question...does it say red star on the package, or merely have a red star pic on the package.  I've seen the pic, but can't find anything that says "red star".  See...I say fear the yeast!!  hahaha.   With you ladies, I think I can conquer that fear!!

i buy the big jar and it says red star on it. it also has a star on it. it should be right on the shelf with the other yeasts.

insanitybeckons
by Group Admin on Dec. 11, 2008 at 5:17 PM

Okay ladies...

I think I can, I think I can...

munchkinaplenty
by on Dec. 29, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Are you using bread flour , all purpose, wheat or a combo?

I used to make all of our bread by hand and I found that the type of flour I was using made a huge difference in the finished product. White bread flour produces the lightest fluffiest bread, next all purpose White or unbleached.. wheat is very very heavy even when mixed with white, it is fine for me but my family didn't like it, so I went back to white bread flour. I have heard whole wheat pastry flour comes out light and fluffy like the white.If you are using wheat or wheat combo try adding a little more yeast. Another thing that helps is when you are kneading , you can't be too rough with it.. several good whacks against your work area with the dough will stimulate  the gluten and cause the dough to rise more. i hope this helps.

Mamaoftwingles
by Group Admin on Dec. 29, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Hmmmm...maybe I need to whack it more!!!  I'm not very gentle, but maybe being rougher might help.  I do use some wheat flour in with the white... Trying to get SOME extra fiber, nutrients in there... I think I'm going to start a batch right now... I have to leave for a while this afternoon, that will give it plenty of time to rise... I also need to bake a loaf for a neighbor who was very helpful last week.  Everyone loves homemade bread... Maybe I'll leave the ww flour out this time...so I know its good for them! LOL... And I'm gonna beat it like I mean it!!!  Thanks!

Jen - Barefootin', Granola Crunchin', God-fearin', Gardenin', Home Cookin', Homeschoolin' Mama of Three Boys and our Animal Menagerie! (Cats Yoda & Chuck, Dogs Lucky & Henry, Daniel the Duck, Rabbits: Myrtle, Esther & Walter, & big ol' flock o' birds.)

snowgirl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)