Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Farm Living (PIOG)

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 183 Total Views

My husband and I are looking to purchase an old farm house that is surrounded by farmland.  Does any one know if living this close to the chemicals (fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides) that are sprayed on the crops is safe?  Like long term effects?  I am a little concerned and thought maybe someone here would know something about it.

by on Mar. 12, 2009 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BeanIrene1
by on Mar. 13, 2009 at 1:05 PM

I do not know, but I bet if you googled it you could come up with many good answers to your question.

Sorry I am still stuck in our townhouse in the city!! My homestead is calling, I just can't get it yet!

breezy2005
by on Mar. 13, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I've lived on farm land all my life and I am 44. My daddy is 68 & his daddy passed away at the age of 90 and no one that I know have had any problems with the fertilizer,pesticides or herbicides.

Now if you see a farmer out spraying or a  air plain over head spraying I would not be standing out there in it. Nothing is safe any more. It does not matter if you are on a farm or in the middle of the city. There are all kinds of chemicals around every day.

Angie

Mamaoftwingles
by Group Admin on Mar. 16, 2009 at 10:03 PM

This is how our farmette is situated.  Its not ideal for me (trying very hard to limit our exposure to chemicals because of health issues), but the farmer lets us know when they are spraying, so I am able to cover our gardens.  I also have plastic underneath of our garden (dirt on top of plastic) so that we don't have chemicals leeching into our produce... it was a big undertaking, but it was worth it.  We do  not drink our water, we buy water for consumption, although we did have the water tested and it tested perfectly fine.  But I'm a little weird about the chemicals, so we wash clothes in it and use it for bathing and I'm perfectly content to buy refills for the water cooler.  There are things you can do to "get around" the potential for exposure.  I don't believe you can get away from all of it, but I do my best to limit our exposure and we are blessed to have very nice neighbors! 

cowgirl

Jen - I bring absolutely NOTHING to the table.

Crunchy Christian Farm Girl Mom of three wild and crazy boys, a buncha birds, bunnies and a neurotic cockapoo

hudsonsmom621
by on Mar. 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM

So do you think it's worth it to live where you are even though there are these risks?

Quoting Mamaoftwingles:

This is how our farmette is situated.  Its not ideal for me (trying very hard to limit our exposure to chemicals because of health issues), but the farmer lets us know when they are spraying, so I am able to cover our gardens.  I also have plastic underneath of our garden (dirt on top of plastic) so that we don't have chemicals leeching into our produce... it was a big undertaking, but it was worth it.  We do  not drink our water, we buy water for consumption, although we did have the water tested and it tested perfectly fine.  But I'm a little weird about the chemicals, so we wash clothes in it and use it for bathing and I'm perfectly content to buy refills for the water cooler.  There are things you can do to "get around" the potential for exposure.  I don't believe you can get away from all of it, but I do my best to limit our exposure and we are blessed to have very nice neighbors! 

DogsMom
by on Apr. 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM

You can find hazardous conditions no matter where you live. Are there any power lines over your yard? Does your community spray for mosquitos in warmer months? Ever hear of Ozone action days?  Watch the news for five minutes and you will hear something you have taken for granted all your life is hazardous to your health. (red M&Ms)
There are now so many laws, lawsuits, and lists of potential dangers that even if all you did was sit home (can't watch TV or use computer) you would still not be safe.

You need to research for yourself and evaluate the major risks and hazards but I believe living in a rural area is healthier than smelling exhaust fumes daily and living close to manufacturing plants and eating fast food.

What will make you happy?

nomad8
by on Apr. 12, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Farmers usually don't spray when its windy. Besides being ecologically unfriendly, its a waste of their money.  At least around here the spray is remarkably precise.  The danger is in the water.  We get our water tested every year.  It could be polluted with contaminants due to insecticides/herbicides & fertilizer.  But it coudl be polluted with bacteria etc.  Naturally occurring bad stuff.

When lived in town I was exposed much more regularly to car exhaust, spraying for mosquitos, & the neigbors using chemicals for their lawn.  No place is pure anymore.  I definitely do not feel I put myself or my family at greater risk by moving to farm country.

Mamaoftwingles
by Group Admin on May. 1, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Quoting hudsonsmom621:

So do you think it's worth it to live where you are even though there are these risks?

Sorry I never answered this...I thought I did!  100% without a doubt in my mind...YES it is worth it. Being able to have our garden (I'm less worried about the chemicals being sprayed & me covering the plants than about pollution from cars & such at our old house).  Like I said, I did take the time & effort to line our garden area with plastic and landscaping cloth over that... to eliminate the majority of anything that might be leeching, but our water and soil has tested fine.  We stay inside (or take a day trip) on spraying days... its really not an issue.  I think it is 100% worth this minor inconvenience to be where we are as opposed to the suburban area where we were.

Jen - Joyful, tree-huggin', bare-footin', God-Praisin', animal - lovin' Mama of Three of God's Very Special Angels

apron

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)