Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

gun discussion in a birthing group?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 251 Total Views

in a birthing group that i am in a moms wrote:

In my Due Date Group one of the ladies has her avatar set to a drawing of her pointing a gun, like straight on at you.  After alot of consideration, I decided to report because I do feel that it is offensive.  I am not saying she can not have it on her profile, just that I don't want it being her avatar because then I have to see it when reading a post she has replied to.  Cafemom said it wasn't offensive and that they would not remove it.  I replied asking why exactly, and they replied saying that I was being inconsiderate and ignorant.  Like I said, she can have it all over the rest of her profile, for her friends to see, but don't force other people to see it.  Am I being stupid about this whole thing??  I just find that a gun is offensive and I personally don' want to see it on a mom website.

ETA: I did find it upsetting when some of you ladies had your avatar changed because it was a breastfeeding picture, but there is a big difference between breastfeeding and a gun IMO.

to which i replied:

no, guns are not offensive.  and unless it read something like "I'm going to kill you" under the picture of the gun pointing at you then there is nothing wrong with it.  i also don't think pictures of breastfeeding or birthing to be offensive.  but i don't like anyone saying i can not have a picture of something that is in my constitution to have.  some people may find religious paraphernalia to be personally offensive.  but that too, is a constitutional right to openly display.  i don't like all that vampire and skulls stuff that i see everywhere either.  but i wouldn't report it.  its not hurting anyone.  and they never say that it is the reason they are displaying that image.  i love guns, i own several, and i carry one.  as a mom i feel like i have a better handle on protecting my children when i carry one.  there are a LOT more things to report as inappropriate on cafemom.  guns are the least of the problem.

my husband showing my 3 year old how to shoot a 50 caliber rifle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any opinions??

ARNGwife-1.gif National Guard Wife image by kattlady7788SAHM.gif Stay at home mom image by haley3749its_a_boy.gif its a boy image by supa_shteph2008

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Elk_Hunter
by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 7:47 PM

clapping

I LOVE the pic of your Husband and Child..how cool is that!

busyizzybsmom
by Member on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:31 PM

A post like that would have gotten under my skin, but I probably wouldn't have said anything because 1) I don't know that I could be gracious enough in my response and in situations like that I try to not say anything and 2) I don't like advertising my gun affinity to people who would go so far as to report a picture to cafemom (or to just people in general, unless I know they're sympathetic like this group). I would be worried about her reporting me to CPS - it would be completely unwarranted, I know, but I'm a worrier like that.

I think you dealt with it nicely though. AND...why anyone would bring up a topic like that in a birthing group is beyond me....doesn't she know how hormonal pregnant women are?!?! We gun owners are adamant enough about our rights, throw in pregnancy hormones and we're a real force to be reckoned with!!!

moomoosmama
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 12:27 PM

my husband said the exact same thing to me when i told him about this.  he said that it was a bad idea because anyone who is ignorant enough to report an avatar is most likely going to report a picture to CPS as well.  luckily the conversation that i ended up having with that lady ended well.  and she saw how ridiculous it was to report.  i probably will remain anon about my preference in the usage of guns in groups that do not support that from now on.

Quoting busyizzybsmom:

A post like that would have gotten under my skin, but I probably wouldn't have said anything because 1) I don't know that I could be gracious enough in my response and in situations like that I try to not say anything and 2) I don't like advertising my gun affinity to people who would go so far as to report a picture to cafemom (or to just people in general, unless I know they're sympathetic like this group). I would be worried about her reporting me to CPS - it would be completely unwarranted, I know, but I'm a worrier like that.

I think you dealt with it nicely though. AND...why anyone would bring up a topic like that in a birthing group is beyond me....doesn't she know how hormonal pregnant women are?!?! We gun owners are adamant enough about our rights, throw in pregnancy hormones and we're a real force to be reckoned with!!!

ARNGwife-1.gif National Guard Wife image by kattlady7788SAHM.gif Stay at home mom image by haley3749its_a_boy.gif its a boy image by supa_shteph2008

busyizzybsmom
by Member on Apr. 9, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I'm glad it ended well! Way to go!

Quoting moomoosmama:

my husband said the exact same thing to me when i told him about this.  he said that it was a bad idea because anyone who is ignorant enough to report an avatar is most likely going to report a picture to CPS as well.  luckily the conversation that i ended up having with that lady ended well.  and she saw how ridiculous it was to report.  i probably will remain anon about my preference in the usage of guns in groups that do not support that from now on.

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
pregnancy due date

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)