Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coincidence?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:23 AM
  • 12 Replies
  • 1267 Total Views
I was given both the drugs during my last pregnancy.  My son is only six month old; however has shown delayed development which we are currently under goining physical therapy.  The doctors have not mentioned autism to us, but it is a concern of mine because of his lack of eye contact.  My husband thinks I am crazy.  My family asked if the drugs they gave me could of caused it and I replied "they wouldn't of given it to me if it would have put the baby in harms way"  Perhaps I was wrong.  Is autism considered hereditary?
by on Apr. 14, 2007 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vickiand4kids
by Group Owner on Apr. 14, 2007 at 2:13 PM
I believe there is a genentic component to autism, BUT there is something environmental that triggers it. Me and my husband also have a typical 5 year old and I didn't have to get either of these drugs with him.  There is noone else in either of our families diagnosed with autism.  I am a RN and found out AFTER I got out of the hospital that these drugs are not FDA approved for pregnant women.  The FDA knew that these drugs caused all these disorders in the babies and so do the doctors. Terbutaline is an asthma drug.  I found out it does cross the placenta and I also have been reading about the connection to this drug and autism, developmental delays, brain damage, etc.  Go to google and put in Peter Angelos attorney and read what he has to say.  I truly believe he is right.  Let me know what you think.  PS...don't let anyone tell you that you are crazy...a mother knows her child more than anyone else in the world.  Go to his site please....and please get back to me.
melc
by on Apr. 28, 2007 at 11:19 PM
WOW,
thanks for this info
I just contacted Peter Angelos
thanks.
karey06
by on May. 5, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Hi. I was in pre-term labor 3 weeks ago, and then again this last monday. The first time, they gave me Terbutaline, 3 shots. The last time, they gave me nothing, but sent me home to take the Terbutaline on my own by mouth. I have been scared to take it, my contractions arent that bad, and my water hasnt broken. I did lose some of my plug and I am 34 weeks.

I dont know why I am so worried about it, maybe just a feeling, but I refuse to take the meds to stop labor again because of what I have read about it.

I am still scared about the 3 shots at 31 weeks though.

Were your stories because of both Terb- and MAG? or Just Terbutaline?

thanks

vickiand4kids
by Group Owner on May. 18, 2007 at 6:57 PM
The lawyer only talks about the terbutaline and doesn't mention the mag.  I just happened to be on both.  Let me know how it goes.  Good Luck!!
mommy11903
by on May. 23, 2007 at 7:07 PM
I had severe toxemia and so was given mag to help control my blood pressure. Christian was born a month early. He was recently diagnosed with autism at 3 1/2 years old.
twinmami01
by on Jul. 8, 2007 at 12:18 AM
I have always wondered about this. I was given these medications when I was pregnant with my twin boys 6years ago. Both my boys have epilepsy and severe speech delays. I don't know if I would be concerned at 6 months though...I pray that he doesn't, but I will tell you that I understand your concern. I read that these medications are used to prevent epilepsy, so I never questioned my dr about it afterwards. I probably should have.
esmommy123
by New Member on Jul. 8, 2007 at 10:12 PM
I took the shots and the pills with both of my kids. I went into early labor with 8 weeks to go with my son. I was given the shots and left the hospital at 4 cm. I took the pills for the next 6 weeks. I took them for at least 3 weeks with my daughter which is fine. But Drew has had numerous problems since being born. Asthma,allergies,chronic ear infections and no autism. Make you wonder...
mommy11903
by on Jul. 16, 2007 at 4:08 PM
All I can say is your "mommy gut" is always right and you should trust it. My hubby thought I was crazy when I became convinced when Christian was also 6 months old that something just wasn't right. In fact, everyone thought I was crazy, including people I worked with (I work at a school for children with disabilities). I was told that working there will make you paranoid about your children and make you believe there is something wrong when there really isn't. Of course, I was more than happy to accept that at the time, but I just could never shake the feeling. So I finally have the answer and now everyone knows I'm not crazy. :) I have accepted Christian's diagnosis finally and we're on our way to a recovery. Like one of the previuos posters said, hopefully it's nothing, but if you truly believe it may be something, don't let people make you believe that you're just crazy and paranoid, get your baby checked out and don't stop until someone will listen to your concerns.
TreannaDawn
by on Feb. 18, 2008 at 12:20 PM

I was put on Terbutaline in the spring of 2003, a couple of months before my  twin boys were born. I spend the entire time on bed-rest, quit smoking, stayed 100% off my feet, and was taken care of. My SO and I did everything to make sure that our children were born healthy and happy.

The first year was spent in and out of the hospital with RSV. After that, they seemed to be normal, though a bit delayed. Around 2 years of age, everyone around me, including their doctor, noticed their feet turned in, and that they weren't talking as much as they should. They began showing that they were not growing *physically, emotionally, mentally* like their older half brothers. At almost 5 years of age they cannot ride a bike because their brain isnt sending their body the right signals. They have very poor motor skills, and social skills.

The worst feeling in the world was the day a caseworker came to meet them, and got it into her head that my children need to be in a home for disabled children. I finally realized that my children truly were not "normal".
Many many many tests over the next couple of years would prove that they have what is called Global Growth Development, on top of it, their feet turn in more and more the older they get, and these poor boys have a larger medical record than I have. I have spent years crying myself to sleep, wondering if it was genetics, or if I had done something wrong during the pregnancy that would cause my children to be disabled. Now I feel like...this isnt my fault, and I need to fight for them. They will NEVER have a quality life because of this drug.

heathers5500
by on May. 6, 2008 at 7:14 PM
Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was on terbutaline for 3 months during my pregnancy to stop my preterm labor, my son is almost 3 months old, he was born with a twisted bowel, that has been corrected.  What else do I need to watch for?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)