Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cultural celebrations

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:44 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 399 Total Views

First, let me say, that I LOVE the idea of this group.  Being that we are all mixes of different cultures--I think that it is great that we all embrace it sooo strongly.  I love having a Mom that is from Okinawa and furthermore, I love all the rituals and celebrations that we do honoring that part of our heritage.  Every New Year's we have a huge Japanese feast (tempura, sushi, tons of rice, stir-fired veggies, stewed meat, gyoza, and more). We watch New Year celebration videos from Japan (kind of the like the Japanese version of the Dick Clark show) and then we end it with watching the ball drop and drinking some champagne or sake.  I look forward to that holiday more than any other.  I am 29 years old and have never celebrated New Years out on the town with friends--I always am home with my family.  I love it! 

So- do you all have any cultural celebrations that you take part in with your family?

by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Hapamommie
by Group Owner on Jul. 26, 2007 at 1:33 AM

Oooh ooh!!  On new years eve young kids bow to older relitives and get cash, I have no idea if its just my family or a korean thing but it was nice when I was young now I loose money on new years

khelawanj
by Member on Aug. 6, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Anyone have a 100 day birthday for their baby??
khelawanj
by Member on Aug. 6, 2007 at 12:22 PM
yeah, i cant remember if I had that or not, but I believe that's not  just a Korean thing.  I have other asian friends....Chinese and Vietnamese who do the same thing on New Years
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)