Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sun downers???

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2008 at 12:44 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 167 Total Views

Alright I have a good question for you guys.  Do you believe in Sun downers?  And do you believe your residents/pateints are effected by a Full Moon?

At one of my jobs my Super. tried to tell me there was no such thing as Sun downers.  O Holy Crap did I ever disagree.  So any ways how do you feel and what kind of experiences have you had with Sun downers or a Full Moon?

by on Aug. 10, 2008 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
the1nonlypeachy
by on Aug. 11, 2008 at 8:08 AM

Trust me when i say this YES there is such a thing. we had this one resident that during the day was sweet as pie didnt bother anything and at night omg it was like she was totally someone different. she was mean and snappy, and just really confused. now around the full moon i have found out that any wheres from 2 to 4 days before and after the full moon is crazy, residents start doing things that they wouldnt normally do, like we have this one lady that while the full moon was around she would stay up for 3 days and nights straight, no matter what we did she wouldnt go to sleep, she was more aggressive too. i just notice that some attitudes change around that time. it just seems crazier around the full moon, maybe a coincidence but maybe not seeing how crazy things keep happening like people gettin up in the middle of the night naked or people that wouldnt normally be mean act mean and things like that. so yes i believe in full mooners and sun downers. i remember this one story about a guy who was all calm during the day and dayshift would have no problem with him, but at night he would walk around and try to escape he actually broke out a window at one time. and when morning came he was all right.                                                    hope this helps

MandyP28
by on Aug. 11, 2008 at 10:37 PM

Oh yes!  There is such a thing as sundowners.  I work on the Alzheimer's unit at work and I see it all the time.  I also strongly believe that the patients are deeply affected by a full moon!  You can tell when it's time for one to occur because all sorts of weird things starrt happening.  I totally agree with you on this one!

kaizynn
by on Nov. 20, 2008 at 5:09 PM

Yes there is.. I worked in an alzheimer's unit for 4 years...  Just let you super sit with a group of them and she would change her mind.. 

alaskansglmom
by Member on Nov. 26, 2008 at 11:52 PM

I do believe in sundowners and the full moon affecting the residents at my work. Whenever I work on the Alzheimer's unit at my work when there is a full moon they just get really round-up and sometimes it feels like you cant keep up with them. Then with sundowners there was a resident on the unit that I work on and she would be fine for my shift (day shift) then when it came time for the next shift she would be completely different. She would come up with the strangest stories. I miss her though.

michelle is the proud mother of:

kraziandkoul
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Ugh...the full moon thing is SOOO true! Last week when there was a full moon (which I didn't know) there were TONS of behaviors...so, I finally said.."jeeze, what is it, a full moon?" and my co worker said...well, yes actually! LOL. Behaviors seem to heighten and everyone acts a little bit odd...so yes, I think the full moon does effect people.

As for sundowners...yes, I think it is real. I think it is a combination of being tired and changing shifts and people just getting calmed down...not everyone can control their body and mind and make it adjust how it needs to...

chasesmom111907
by on Feb. 3, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I work the 3-11 shift in a hospital and trust me I know that there is such a thing as sundowners!

sammi

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)