Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just a tad aggravated but feeling optimistic

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 153 Total Views

So I took a CNA class in Spring of 2007 and passed the class, and I thought I passed my state test even though the lady did not seem satisfied when I took the blood pressure she liked how I did everything else. I called the school about whether or not I needed to redo the blood pressure part but they sent me a certificate and I thought "Well I must have passed" and did not look into it anymore. Well I did not know that the school and the state would send me a certificate and I just got one from the school. I never got any letter or anything from the state.

So it has been too long for me to retake the state test and I have just started work as a CNA at a local nursing home. And now my pay is being cut by fifty cents and I am only an NA. My boss did not check the state registry until after she hired me and found out about it a few days after I was on the job. It is a real pain in the ass not being able to give "direct patient care."

Luckily I was able to find and enroll in a CNA class that will last from August 20th to 0ctober 10th. And after I have sixteen hours in class I can work on any wing in the facility and give "direct patient care" as long as I stay in the class and become certified. I was looking forward to just taking my anatomy class but whatever. My boss is really happy about it, she is a busy person and forgetful sometimes so I am happy I just went ahead and took care of it by myself.

I like working at the nursing home, it just kind of sucks to take care of people (some of them are hateful) all day and then I come home to take care of the house and my thirteen-month-old son. I am so stressed about going to school and trying to fit studying into my schedule as well. Luckily I have my mom to help me and some assistance from the govt. I am a single mom and it is a relief to have something to lean on until I can get thru school and make good money at the hospital. (No bashing! I'm a young single mom who takes her kid to daycare and gets help from the govt and it seems like someone always has something to say to me about it.)

Just venting.

by on Aug. 16, 2008 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mummaofsbe
by Group Owner on Aug. 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM

I can't imagine someone bashing you for doing your best for yourself and your family.  I really can't imagine how hard it must be to do all of these things on your own.  Thank goodness for your mother.  When I took the class my mom payed for it and I had my husband to help make time for my to study.  Not to mention him just being there everyday, even if he is sleeping or watching t.v. he is there.  I really wouldn't want to do this all by myself everyday.  It would just be to hard.  Well good luck with the class.  Stop by again and let us know how things are going.  TamiLee

the1nonlypeachy
by on Aug. 17, 2008 at 10:53 AM

i know how hard it is and i'm a single mom i have been doing it on my own for almost 5 years till my bf came into the picture and he has helped alot now my family helped to. when i took my cna classes i didnt have to pay for them b/c the job i work at paid for them, and they trained me and i'm still there. now i'm not on any government assistance but peachcare, but when she was first born to about a year and a half old i had to. and i'm not a bit ashamed of having to. thats what it is there for is to help people out in hard times. i worked b4 i had to use it and after i used it so i feel like i paid my part i paid my taxes. as well as anyone else does.  i think the reason people bash is b/c there are people that take advantage of it, and that ruins it for the ones that really use it for the good.  dont let them get you down hun you can make it i have complete faith in you. i was lucky b/c when my cna classes took place my parents and grandparents went on vacation and they took my baby with them, so it wasnt so hard, till they came back, then i had to take her back and forth to pre-k and but i made it and so can you. keep your chin up and when anyone says anything about you using government assistance you tell them that you pay your taxes like every body else. (not trying to be mean)  (and hope that makes sense i haven't had sleep yet worked a 12 last night and havent been to sleep yet. )

GOOD LUCK.

lilystar
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2008 at 10:18 PM

Thanks for the encouragement! It is really hard to be a single mom, it is gonna be harder when I have to fit studying into my schedule. I just thank God every day for blessing me with a healthy baby and a supportive mother.

hill2
by on Sep. 19, 2008 at 12:37 AM

You are doing what you need to do! If you need help to better yourself that is totally fine! Don't feel bad or even feel you have to explain yourself especially since you aren't sitting on your butt.

I understand the CNA job is hard and basically we do at work what we do at home. Only at home they are smaller...LOL I have 3 kids so I feel you there but I am not a single mom. My BF works long days though so thats kinda hard! I am also still in school myself. Its exhausting!

I wish you all the luck in the world!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN