Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't know what to do.....

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 136 Total Views

Hello!  I am not a CNA right now but am seriously considering it.   I have had a daycare in my home for the last seven years.  For a variety of reasons it isn't working as well as it did when I first started.  I want to work the graveyard shift at our local nursing home for several months and then enroll in LPN classes next fall.  I've heard some people say they HATE CNA work though.  I'm scared I won't like it.

If you don't mind would you answer my questions?

Do you like your job?

Why or why not?

Are graveyard shift duties different from the other two shifts since the patiens are sleeping?

by on Dec. 22, 2008 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mummaofsbe
by Group Owner on Dec. 23, 2008 at 1:17 AM

I LOVE my job.  I started working at our local Kohls Dept. Store.  I was a dept. supervisior.  I would assist my elderly customers with trying on their clothes when they asked and would also help out my customers that couldn't see.  One night I asked my mom who takes care of our elderly?  The next day I looked and found out CNA's do that job.  I quit Kohls after I had my first child and pursued my CNA. 

I have to say being a mom helped.  I mean you are basically doing the same job but for adults.  I work with 3 or more aids that used to do day care in thier home or worked at one.  In fact my son's preschool teacher is going to get her CNA after 20 years of being a Preschool teacher.  It is amazing. 

I think you will really enjoy your job.  If you presuded this job, knowing what it entales on some level I think you will enjoy it. 

As for third shift in a nursing home.  You do "rounds".  Pretty much toileting the residents that can still use the bathroom and then changing and cleaning up the residents that are incontinent. 

First shift you are getting people up for their day, breakfast, bathes, beauty shop, theropy, ect.  Then laying them down for a nap after lunch. 

Second shift, you are getting people up from thier naps and toileting the residents that need the bathroom.  Supper. and after you helping everyone to bed.  As well as using the bathroom in between.

I work second, but I like picking up on thrid. 

Good luck!!!

kraziandkoul
by New Member on Jan. 18, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Okay.. I HATED my job for the first 6 months...HATED HATED HATED it! BUT...after that 6 month mark....I realized what I had GAINED from it. There were residents that I deeply cared for! There were people who would only do things for me...family members requesting that I take care of their loved one...then I realized how rewarding the job can be.

There are bad parts to the job...but all in all, it is a great job to have.

I have worked all shifts....in a nursing home setting:

1st shift is busiest the first half of the day...then slower

2nd is slow in the very beginning and very end...busy in the middle

3rd is really slow in until the end, when it gets really busy.

1st shift usually has 2 meals you need to get residents up for. Sometimes 3rd shift will help out and get the early risers up for you...but it depends on the people and where you work. There is usually therapy and activities that residents go to that makes your work a little lighter (less babysitting type of work).

2nd shift, there is one meal, and a few toilet trips for everyone. You also have to everyone ready for bed. There usually is less activities, so more people needing attention. I find the second shift the most difficult, but it is the shift I work most often as well.

3rd shift is difficult in the beginning...pretty much everyone is in bed so you check on people, change them if incontinent and toilet them if needed. There are usually lists of cleaning and other things to do (like washing wheelchairs and walkers) to keep you busy. We also pass fresh waters and do the neighborhood dishes on midnight shifts. Then, around 4-5 am people start to russell around and want up. Not all, but some. You to get them up and ready if they want and do rounds on everyone else as well so it can be a hectic time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)