Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tandem/ Pregnant BFing....

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:56 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 338 Total Views

I need some success stories :(

Everything I'm reading and hearing keeps telling me how hard/horrible it is either to pregnant BF orto tandem and how they weaned while pregnant etc :(

It depresses me b/c 'til now I honestly thought nothing of it. My DD is 19 months and I'm due in May.....

I'm feeling discouraged..... :(

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sabella24
by Member on Nov. 16, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Here's a success story for ya sweetie. My son was 7 months old when I got preg with my daughter. Things went okay for awhile, then my supply noticeably dropped. So did my son's nursing. He got to where he was only nursing 1-3 times a day, but I never refused a nursing session. I did experience nursing aversion but made it through that too. Now I am sitting here nursing my now 19 month old son while my now 3 month old daugher is sleeping in her crib. Once she was born and we went home, he jumped right back to nursing as much as he did before, and this time he has been able to use it to bond with his sissy. It's beautiful watching them nurse at the same time. He'll reach over and rest his arm over her like a hug, and they'll watch each other. It isn't always easy but it is definitely worth it. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.

Mom71307
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 7:13 AM

I have one too!  My daughter was 18 months when I got pregnant with my now 7 week old son!  She nursed the whole pregnancy, never dropping a session!  I had no pain from lack of supply either so I am fairly sure that I was a lucky one whose supply never really dipped that much!  Once the baby was born, she did want to nurse more often and I let her for a while but then I coached her back to her 3-4 times a day.  She is now 28 months and still BFing and I do enjoy when they nurse together... she pats her brother's head and hugs him.  Thier bond is incredible and I think that is partly due to their nursing together!  You can do it... as the pp said, it is not always easy, but keep it up and you can do it!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
LaughterHugs
by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:24 PM

thank you for the encouragement :D

SDK_MayBaby.gifAFhbac.gif2.gifmykidstalkwithhands.gifSDK_ItsASurprise.gifApril_Baby.gifI_love_my_daughter.gifhusbandfl.gif

WillDoDa
by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:35 PM

It is definitely do able. :)

My little girl was 16 months old when I got pregnant again. I continued to nurse her through the pregnancy;. She did slow down at time, but I am not sure if it was due to lower supply or just disinterest.

Now that the baby is here (12 weeks old tomorrow) They have been nursing together from the start. She will just reach over and pat his face or rub on him while they are nursing together.

She was nursing  a lot more for a while, but is down to 3-5 times a day depending on her whim and the day I guess. :)

She is now, 26 almost 27 months old and the baby, he is almost 3 months. There are  times I'll admit where I just want them both to leave me alone. :) But that's my problem not theirs!

LaughterHugs
by Member on Nov. 17, 2009 at 3:04 PM

i wanna be you :)

thanks!

Quoting WillDoDa:

It is definitely do able. :)

My little girl was 16 months old when I got pregnant again. I continued to nurse her through the pregnancy;. She did slow down at time, but I am not sure if it was due to lower supply or just disinterest.

Now that the baby is here (12 weeks old tomorrow) They have been nursing together from the start. She will just reach over and pat his face or rub on him while they are nursing together.

She was nursing  a lot more for a while, but is down to 3-5 times a day depending on her whim and the day I guess. :)

She is now, 26 almost 27 months old and the baby, he is almost 3 months. There are  times I'll admit where I just want them both to leave me alone. :) But that's my problem not theirs!

MelanieLouise
by Group Owner on Nov. 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM

NAK :)

I got pregnant with Fiona when Liam was 13 months old, nursed through the entire pregnancy (introducing cow's milk at 15 months), and tandem nursed when Fiona was just minutes old. They're both still nursing, and Fiona's beginning solids. We didn't have many sharing issues, in fact, I think tandem nursing has helped the kids learn to share. :)

CafeMom Tickers     CafeMom Tickers

micheledo
by Member on Nov. 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM

I have breastfed with all my pregnancies but the first one (obviously!).  This is the first time I have made it all the way through the pregnancy.

Persevere!!  I think my supply dropped sharply during pregnancy.  I am pretty sure that is why my first son, Nathaniel, quit nursing around 12 months.  And I let him.  My second son, Daniel, refused after I ate eggplant.  I am really not sure if I could have ever gotten him back on.  He screamed and pushed away in terror whenever I tried to nurse him!!

With my daughter, Elizabeth, my supply dropped and it got to the point that she only nursed for about 5 minutes total, twice a day.  I refused to give that up and just kept nursing her.  It helped a LOT if she was sleepy when she nursed, because then she stayed on longer.  I am currently due any day and she now nurses about 15 minutes total.  I think as I got closer to the end of the pregnancy, my supply has increased.  Although it seems to be a mixture of colustrum and milk!  I have also heard that the older baby will often start nursing more once the new baby is born!  I hope so!

You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul
 and with all your might.  These words which I am commanding you today, 
     shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your sons
                  and shall talk of them when you sit in your house
            and when you walk by the way and when you lie down 
                     and when you rise up.

Deuteronomy 6:5-7
                       Come grow with us at Godly Mothering!

Xakana
by Head Admin on Nov. 29, 2009 at 4:29 PM

It's not the most pleasant thing in the world, but I never liked breastfeeding. However, it's been no problem to maintain. I had to night-wean to protect my nursing relationship when I was about 20 weeks pregnant, but that's not too uncommon anyway. I did NOT force it, but just tested it out and she was apparently ready because it happened in two days. She un-night-weaned a few months after her sister was born and that was okay, it wasn't a big deal.

Really, just be prepared that if you love breastfeeding, you might not love it while you're prenant. Maybe it was because I never liked it that it wasn't hard for me? I don't know. I didn't lose the things I DID like about it--her happiness and joy while nursing, the calming/comforting effect on her, the love, the nutrition, antibodies, etc. But since it doesn't do much in the way of oxytocin for me (or oxytocin doesn't do much for me, whichever), I didn't really lose anything, I just gained a tandem nursing relationship.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker... Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

happymommy42008
by Member on Nov. 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Hang in there it is totally worth it! I got pregnant with Ashlynn when my oldest Ellie was just 6 months old. Near then end of my first trimester is when it really started to be painful to nurse, to help get thru the pain tried to keep my self distracted by reading or watching tv and taking breaks when the pain was really bad. But when you have a toddler who loves on, hugs on and tries to share everything with the baby all the time vs hitting, trowing, and taking (Maybe it still happens just not yet in our family) you will be so glad that you did. Not to mention you'll be so proud of you oldest! My daughters are currently 19 months and 4 months old. Best of luck. I wouldn't do it any other way.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Stefanie83
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 11:25 AM

thanks for posting this topic.  i really like the 2 stories of the toddlers touching the babies' heads while nursing!  =)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)