Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help. I think I'm going to go crazy!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:57 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 287 Total Views

I have a 10 week old baby and an almost 3 year old daughter. Before the baby my daughter only nursed 2-3 times a day at the most, some days she wouldnt nurse at all. I expected her to want to nurse a lot more when the baby came but I didnt think it would last this long and be this bad. I cant nurse them at the same time because its really uncomfortable for me so I nurse them separately. My daughter begs to nurse all the time, she throws big huge screaming tantrums and triesto hurt the baby when i tell her no. I have tried distracting her. Offering to do another activity like play dough(she loves play dough) but she wont let it go. I'm not getting any sleep at night because she also started sleeping with me again and so does the baby so I'm constantly rolling over and nursing all night. As soon as one of them goes to sleep the other wakes up and wants to nurse. I cant take it anymore. She is either nursing, begging to nurse, or throwing a tantrum about nursing all the time.  I used to enjoy nursing her but now I hate it because she wants it all the time and when she doesnt get it she goes crazy. I keep telling myself to just be as loving as I can and cuddle and nurse her as much as possible and she'll stop but its not working. I dont know what to do anymore. I cant even just play with her or hug or without her wanting to nurse. When my husband comes home from work I'm so exhausted that i take the baby and try to hide in the bedroom but she screams and cries at the door. She cant be away from me for one second. She's gotten so clingy. Has anyone gone through this? can anyone help? Sorry so long and thanks for reading.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AsiaA.
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Im in the same boat at times too. When its just my son who is 3 and my baby who is 7 mo, my son will ask to nurse the same time also. He throws a fit when he cant have it and I have to redirect him all the time like later on you can have some or when I know the milk is coming than I will let him nurse so he isnt nursing at the same time. Other times hes playing with his grandparents so he will be distracted. I will put his fav show on or give him a snack with his watercup..hopefully it gets better! I just have to reinforce his nursing manners so its still enjoyable.

mommyakabooby
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I have a 3 yr old and 7 month old as well. I don't tell the oldest one 'no', but I tell her she has to wait until it's dark outside. And I let her nurse once in the morning. I had to limit her b/c she was nursing so much she wouldn't eat.

MelanieLouise
by Group Owner on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM

There is nothing wrong with a little bit of lying right now. You can say she can have some later, after dinner, before bed, whatever. You can also tell her that your milk is running out and she has to wait for your boobies to fill back up. Anything to keep the anger off the baby, especially since you say she's already hurting the baby over nursing. ((hugs)) sweetie!

NinjaMomma
by Member on Oct. 3, 2010 at 3:39 AM

Yep.  Set aside one or two times a day for nursing your older child.  Ask them to pick out two times that they would want to nurse.  Stick to it.  Make it routine.  They know if it's not that time they aren't getting nurses.  My son is almost 3 and we went through this.  He went a long time not nursing during my pregnancy then started back up when the baby was born.  His latch changed and he leaves teeth marks on my breasts unless I am very careful and watchful of how he latches.  I also will not nurse them at the same time.  Logan knows he can nurse to his hearts content after his sister is in bed for the night.  He also knows if he starts to hurt me I will make him get off and relatch.

Quoting mommyakabooby:

I have a 3 yr old and 7 month old as well. I don't tell the oldest one 'no', but I tell her she has to wait until it's dark outside. And I let her nurse once in the morning. I had to limit her b/c she was nursing so much she wouldn't eat.

"Attending births is like growing roses. You have to marvel at the ones that just open up and bloom at the first kiss of the sun but you wouldn't dream of pulling open the petals of the tightly closed buds and forcing them to blossom to your time line." Gloria Lemay

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)