Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not prego yet but...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 271 Total Views

I just had my third child in March. We plan to have one more. My husband wants them close together. He wanted to start trying when Rune was 6 months old. I told him I wanted to reach my weight loss goal and be more recovered. I am also breastfeeding. Rune will be a year March 23.

So I now feel physically ready. We are not using any birth control. I have had three periods since I had him so I cant use my "normal method" ovulation prediction, ect to ttc.

My question is, what is the best way to go about ttc while breastfeeding.

My other question is if I do become pregnant can I continue to breastfeed? I was planning on weaning him at a year but I really dont want too now.

I hope you all dont mind me hanging out to ask questions.

Graphic Designing, Work at Home, Tattooed, Nerdy Mama of 3...

Read about it

Diapers & Design

"Ye have enemies? Good, good - that means ye've stood up for something, sometime in thy life..." - Elminster of Shadowdale.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
micheledo
by Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:39 PM

I can't answer your ttc question.  We never prevented it or tried.  I ended up getting pregnant when my first was 6 months, my second was 9 months, and my third was 5 months old.  I was exclusively breastfeeding all but the second child when I got pregnant. 

YES, you can nurse while pregnant!  I know some women tent to have VERY sensitive nipples while pregnant and sore breasts.  Mine were only like that from time to time, so it wasn't a huge problem.  My issue was that my supply dropped and then my colostrum came in months before the baby was born.  My third lost interest in nursing.  She was so young and I was determined to keep her nursing through the pregnancy.  She would nurse for about 10 seconds whenever I put her on.  The only exception was at nap time and bed time.  I would nurse her to sleep and she would continue nursing in her sleep.  That helped a lot!!  Once the baby was born and my milk came in, she went back to nursing about 5 times a day.

I have to say, a HUGE benefit is that you don't have to worry about being engorged!!!!  Just have the toddler nurse.  :D

Welcome to the group!

Xakana
by Head Admin on Feb. 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM

This is what the group is for!

Have you read Taking Charge of your Fertility? OPKs are okay, but I had no success using them to get pregnant. Temping was really much more my friend. www.fertilityfriend.com is a great place to get a free course on how to and to actually chart (I prefer it to the TCOYF charts, myself, which I find not simple enough to just eyeball and see the pattern).

Yes, you can get pregnant while nursing. Yes, it's safe to nurse while pregnant (usually the next question in the series, lol) and yes, you might lose your supply and no, there's nothing you can do about it. However, you also might maintain your supply throughout and have no problem and end up tandem nursing (obviously if we're here, we've most of us gotten pregnant while nursing! sorry about that horrid grammar).

Some women have to space out nursing sessions to allow for a 6 hour break to return their fertility, some women have it return without adjusting their nursing. I had to use herbs my first time to correct my screwed up luteal phase, but this time, everything seems to be going okay and we'll see if I get pregnant this month.

Welcome!

h_minkus
by on Feb. 12, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Yaay! Glad to see you here! :) I already gave you my advice on the other board. :) This board is not nearly as active as the TTC board, but it's nice to find like-minded gals.

Good luck in your journey, let's keep in touch!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)