Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone take natural supplements to jump start ovulation while breastfeeding??

Posted by on May. 28, 2011 at 11:38 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 1466 Total Views

I am considering taking Fasle Unicorn, Red Raspberry Leaf, and Vitex to jump start ovulation. But I would like to talk to other breastfeeding mom's who have used natural supplements to get pregnant!

Some Background:

My daughter is 11 months and I have only ovulated once since I delivered her. She was 4 months then. When I EBF my second son I didn't ovulate until he was 12 months and that is when I concieved my daughter!

I am a 24 yr old Mommy to two boys Xavier O'Neal Age5 Malachi O'Mari Age 2 and one baby girl Laylah-Marie Elizabeth ! I have been married to my wonderful Husband, Quentin, for 6 yrs and our children are our life! We are quiverfull, and Lord willing, look forward to many more children in our future!!                                    

by on May. 28, 2011 at 11:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
logansmomma2010
by on May. 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I am not taking supplements, but m trying to bring back my fertility through proper nutrition. My son is 14 months old and still nursing 3 or 4 times a day, for about 7 minutes at a time....he drinks from a cup otherwise and eats normal table food, but is just not ready to stop nursing yet. My husband and I are trying to get pregnant this year, but that's difficult since I don't seem to be very fertile yet.

lilGsmomma
by on May. 31, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I haven't but I am also breastfeeding my 7 month old and TTC.  I have trouble ovulating because of PCOS so with my 1st child I took clomid and with my 2nd I was on Metformin which is a diabetic medication. 

MelanieLouise
by Group Owner on Jun. 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I know Xak uses vitex, but not as early as you're mentioning. I believe in waiting until the body is ready to be pregnant again (by naturally staring your cycle) before TTC, give yourself plenty of time to heal, and time for your baby to be a baby. :)

Melanie, mom to 3, military wife, birth rights advocate,
car seat safety advocate, Certified Lactation Educator and Counselor,
lactivist, musician, student.
That's me.
MelanieLouise
by Group Owner on Jun. 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Here's what Xak said in another post:

• Quote Xakana:

If your cycle hasn't returned by then, there is an herb you can use to stimulate it called vitex (chasteberry). If you use half the recommended dosage, it shouldn't affect your supply. However, a full dose can lower supply or interrupt it. However, a half dose might even boost it a little.

Melanie, mom to 3, military wife, birth rights advocate,
car seat safety advocate, Certified Lactation Educator and Counselor,
lactivist, musician, student.
That's me.
Xakana
by Head Admin on Jun. 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM

I used vitex, that's it, but I used it for cycle balance. But I get my cycles back early (5 months with my first and 4 months with my second). However, this time, I didn't need it at all and I'm ecstatic.

With my first, I detected that I had a Luteal Phase Defect (7 day LP) when I was ready to TTC, actually at 12 months and I did take it. I lost the baby (which I actually blame on an early ultrasound in combination with stopping vitex too early). I conceived and lost again and took vitex again. This time, I got pregnant immediately again (even though I was trying to take a month off, lol, it makes me super-fertile!) and kept taking it until I was 7 weeks pregnant. My DD was 18 months when I finally conceived and I'm happy with their spacing.

Keep in mind that you can lose your supply as early as 12 weeks into your pregnancy (although some moms report a drop as early as 6-8 weeks) so if you want to aim for self-weaning, you could be accidentally causing influenced weaning. My 4 year old weaned this pregnancy and my 2 year old is acting like she may wean as well.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker... Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)