Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting pg while bfding??

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 230 Total Views

Hi. I'm not currently pg. My baby is almost 14months. He is nursing a couple times a day. Sometimes he will go 2 days without nursing. I'm wondering if I'm able to conceive?? I'm not ttc yet, But I have always weaned then got pg after. So any ideas on this I'd appreciate!!

thank you!

by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mom71307
by on Jul. 17, 2011 at 10:29 PM

You CAN conceive once you begin ovulating.  It doesn't matter how often you are nursing... you can ovulate at any time... once that happens, all bets are off!  I have become pregnant twice while Bfing 4+ times per day as well as overnight some... I was ovulating... it happens! 

micheledo
by Member on Jul. 17, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Have you had a period yet?  Obviously you can get pregnant without a period, but I don't know that it is very common.

My periods usually return very early and I have gotten pregnant 4 times while breastfeeding.  The first 2 had started solids when I got pregnant - though still breastfeeding often.  My fourth pregnancy, my daughter was only 4-5 months and was exclusively breastfed and I got pregnant.  This time I was nursing 2 children - though only about 5 times a day (total).

So - completely possible.  :)

momonthegox3
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2011 at 12:50 AM

I started getting my period back when the baby was about 9months old. We have not used any form of BC. So I'm thinking it works as BC for me. But every time after I've stopped nursing I get pg about a month or two later. Like clockwork. But I'm planning on nursing this baby longer. Mainly because he wants it more than my other children have. So I was wondering if I did get pg could I continue. My 3 yr old asked me tonight if he could nurse. Poor guy i turned him down. He was so sad. But it's been 2 yrs since I nursed him!! I wish I had continued longer with him.

Thank u for the info!!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
lilGsmomma
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 1:06 AM

I wish I could figure this out too.  My baby is about to be 9 months and I do not plan to wean her anytime soon.  I want to conceive baby number 3 ASAP.    I have not gotten my period yet but I think I got it after my 1st child around 9 months pp.  Best wishes to you on TTC again! 

Oh and don't feel bad about your 3 year old!  I have a four year old who has been weaned since 23 months old that still asks to nurse! 

CafeMom Tickers

momonthegox3
by New Member on Jul. 18, 2011 at 2:23 AM

Thank you! Good luck to you!!!

Mom71307
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM

Yes, you can continue nursing once pregnant again... I wouldn't TRY  to get pregnant until after 12 months so there is no chance of needing to supp with formula... supply almost always dips with pregnancy so I would wait until 12 months before TRYING.  If you have a period, you are ovulating... it works as bc if you are not yet ovulating... once ovulating, anything is possible.  If you want to try, watch for ovulation signs... get the book taking charge of your fertility!  I have nursed through one entire pregnancy and am 24 weeks into nursing through another one... I tandem nursed my older 2 for 20 months when my almost 4 yr old weaned... my 22 month old is still nursing though.

MasonsMommy1707
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Well, I have a 9mo old and just found out I am pregnant.

My baby only nurses, no bottles, no formula.  I only had two cycles since his birth but guess what?  I'm pregnant.  I must be fertile. :)

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)