Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding and miscarriage?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 668 Total Views

Poll

Question: have u been successful breastfeeding while pregnant?

Options:

Yes, I nursed all the way through pregnancy!

No, I miscarried

I nursed through part of my pregnancy bvut still never encountered a miscarriage

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 19

View Results

Ok, so I am very new here but I recently started TTC but am also still nursing my one yr old. I came across 3 seperate articles that had womens posts, and almost EVERY women on there had stated that they had miscarried while breastfeeding... and all had very similar syptoms. Welllll I had plans to nurse through pregnancy but am scared to death to do so. IDK if I should wean or what... would definetly love to hear what u guys have to say on the matter thank u

by on Oct. 17, 2011 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoodleMum
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2011 at 12:49 AM

I think there are so many factors!  Did they get pregnant before having three normal cycles or before AF returned, etc.  I just m/c a few weeks ago while BF my 9 month old, but I have also had two other m/cs before having DD.  I don't think my uterine lining was thick enough to maintain a pregnancy because of the hormones involved with BF which was preventing my getting AF.  We are already TTC before having a cycle after my M/C and I know it's a risk for having another one.  I also refuse to wean DD :)

micheledo
by Member on Oct. 18, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Unless you are having preterm labor/at risk for early labor, I wouldn't be that concerned.  I have nursed during 4 pregnancies now.  I nursed entirely through one of them and am currently hoping to nurse through this one (I am 6 months pregnant).  As I got farther along, I did notice contractions when I nursed, but they always stopped when I was done nursing.  (same type of contractions you might get during sex - they don't really do anything)

momma_alie20
by New Member on Oct. 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I guessmy biggest concern is, after my 3 yr old was born, we had a miscarriage just before concieving my 1 yr old and it was extremely hard on my husband and I, and I dont know if I could go through that.... so I dont know if I should wean before hand to avoid a miscarriage. I had my IUD removed just over a month ago, but have had normal periods for about 3 months now... Im just so scared. Maybe Ill keep nursing unless I got a positive , and then try weaning... ugh IDK!

Quoting PoodleMum:

I think there are so many factors!  Did they get pregnant before having three normal cycles or before AF returned, etc.  I just m/c a few weeks ago while BF my 9 month old, but I have also had two other m/cs before having DD.  I don't think my uterine lining was thick enough to maintain a pregnancy because of the hormones involved with BF which was preventing my getting AF.  We are already TTC before having a cycle after my M/C and I know it's a risk for having another one.  I also refuse to wean DD :)

PoodleMum
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2011 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I know it's so hard not to worry.  All the experts I've talked to on this subject have agreed that nursing won't cause a m/c and if you can have sex, then you can nurse.  If you're going to m/c, it's going to happen no matter what :(  If you're religious maybe pray and see what feels right, I know that has helped me tremendously.  (((HUGS)))  and Good luck!  You'll know when you're ready, on both the weaning and trying for another

Quoting momma_alie20:

I guessmy biggest concern is, after my 3 yr old was born, we had a miscarriage just before concieving my 1 yr old and it was extremely hard on my husband and I, and I dont know if I could go through that.... so I dont know if I should wean before hand to avoid a miscarriage. I had my IUD removed just over a month ago, but have had normal periods for about 3 months now... Im just so scared. Maybe Ill keep nursing unless I got a positive , and then try weaning... ugh IDK!

Quoting PoodleMum:

dhiannian
by on Oct. 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I picked the first option, but I'm not done yet. I'm 25 weeks pregnant with no intention of weaning my one-year-old. No issues except losing my supply around 17 weeks(

MaryJarrett
by Member on Nov. 16, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I got pregnant with my second when my first was 9.5 months old. I had never had a period, I had just introduced solids (we delay solids to at least 9 months). I nursed my entire pregnancy and tandem nurse(d?). My oldest is now 3 years old and nursed every once in a while, maybe 1-5 times a month now and my youngest is 18 months and nurses every 3 hrs with an 8 hour break at night. They are 19 months apart to the day. I never had preterm labor or lost my milk.

Xakana
by Head Admin on Jan. 31, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I have had miscarriages (due to fertility issues that were pre-existing), nursed through pregnancy AND had two kids wean during pregnancy (the same one--my 4.5 and 2.5 year olds both weaned during my last pregnancy--on their own). I had a friend say to me once, "If a pregnancy isn't strong enough to survive nursing, something else would have likely ended it anyway."

poppys_mommy
by Member on Feb. 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I decided to not change nursing at all when ttc.  I figured if I could get pregnant nursing, then my body could handle it.  I had other friends who were adjusting nursing, giving baby a bottle, etc so they'd have a better chance of conceiving.

I nursed DD as much as she wanted all through the pregnancy (which was 2-3 hours/day.  seriously) and had DS at 40.5 weeks. 

momma_alie20
by New Member on May. 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

well on an update, I have concieved twice in the last 6 months and miscarried both aaround 5 weeks. My doc suggested that if I wanted to get pregnant that I should stop nursing. idk, we have stopped ttc for now

cemcnair
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:35 PM
So sorry :( did they say why other than to say stop nursing?

Quoting momma_alie20:

well on an update, I have concieved twice in the last 6 months and miscarried both aaround 5 weeks. My doc suggested that if I wanted to get pregnant that I should stop nursing. idk, we have stopped ttc for now

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN