Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 241 Total Views
My son is 13 1/2 months old and I am almost 6 weeks pregnant - I want to start weaning him. He still nurses a lot - about 6 or 7 times a day and 1 to 2 times at night.

Thanks for your help!
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
micheledo
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I am of the opinion to let them wean on their own.  :)

However, I would definitely night wean him.  That way you can get a little more rest.  The only thing that has worked for us at night time is to have my husband get up with the baby when he wakes up.  IF the child is inconsolable, I will get up and nurse.  Usually it only takes a couple of nights before the little one is not waking up anymore. 

My guess is that your child will wean during your pregnancy!  All of mine, but one did.  I had to work VERY hard to keep my 3rd child nursing through the pregnancy.  The milk supply drops and there is so little when your colustrum comes in, they usually lose interest.  My third was only 5 months old when I got pregnant, so that is why I worked so hard to keep her nursing.

JennWatt
by New Member on May. 24, 2012 at 7:43 AM
I wanted to try to reduce number of nursing sessions before it dried up. Like over the next 6 weeks to get down to nursing just before naps and bedtime. I am not looking forward to finding another way to get him to sleep besides nursing. Any suggestions?
Mamaj323
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM
When we dropped feedings while I was pregnant and having intense agitation we went book shopping. Long childrens books were how we got through nap times. There were some tears but once he fell in love with the story he was excited for it. Those books were only for going to sleep. I remember one rough day of Tootle the Train nine times in a row! I hope you find what works for you.
Remember though, some women don't have a marked dip in supply during pregnancy. You might be one of the lucky ones. There isn't a need to wean if you don't want to.
Good luck! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN