Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy makes milk taste funny?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:23 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 244 Total Views

My MW is usually full of great advice, but at the end of my first prenatal visit, we had this conversation.

MW - 'would you be devastated if your daughter stopped nursing?"

Me - "well, not devastated but sad.  Why?"

MW - "for some moms pregnancy makes the milk taste different and the baby doesn't like it and stops nursing.  Or your supply may drop and she may stop."

Thoughts??  My supply I do believe is dropping, but we nurse at least twice a day.  I'm 17 weeks pregnant and DD is 14 months old.

by on Aug. 31, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Mamaj323
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:18 AM
I have definatelty heard that some nurslings can detect a change in flavor. I think that it is more common to have issues with supply though. Do you have "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" by Hilary Flower yet? Get it for sure if not! My son never mentioned flavor but we did struggle to make it through. Congrats on the baby!
Xakana
by Head Admin on Sep. 4, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Oh, yes, it makes it salty. For some kids, that's no big deal, some like it and some abhor it. It can happen at any point between 12-36+ weeks, but usually doesn't happen until after 24 weeks at least (sometimes not at all). My supply has dropped drastically with both pregnancies. My first nursed through it, my second weaned (which reflects their general nursing personalities as it all--I think they both would have weaned exactly when they did regardless of my pregnancy status).

Author of Urban Fantasy/Psychological Horror "Hotel of Lost Souls." If you like Anita Blake, you should check it out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN