Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oatmeal

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:10 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 270 Total Views

I know I might be a little late to this party, but I just made oatmeal for the first time!  I'm talking about rolled oats, not the packet kind.  My three year old came over and asked me what I was making, and when I told her oatmeal, she looked at me like I was crazy and said, "In a pot?" 

I've known for awhile that it's much healthier to make it from scratch, but I hadn't tried for the silly reason that I didn't know what to put in it.  I always have oats around the house because I love to make oatmeal cookies.  Well, today I made it with milk, honey and blueberries and it was delicious!  I will never buy those packets again!

Do you make your own oatmeal?  What do you like to put in it?

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Aubles
by Group Admin on Jan. 21, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Oh, yeah, we make our own oatmeal here!  I put raisins and cinnamon in while it's cooking, then top with butter and agave nectar.  mmmm...

I make oat bran cereal (it's a hot cereal like malt-o-meal, but it's just oat bran) with milk, honey and blueberries.  It's divine.

Those packets suck ass.

I will also post recipes for Peach Oats Brule and Oven Apple Oats later.

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
- Nelson Mandela
eleanorigby
by Group Admin on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Quoting Aubles:

Oh, yeah, we make our own oatmeal here!  I put raisins and cinnamon in while it's cooking, then top with butter and agave nectar.  mmmm...

I make oat bran cereal (it's a hot cereal like malt-o-meal, but it's just oat bran) with milk, honey and blueberries.  It's divine.

Those packets suck ass.

Oh, please do!

The funny thing is that the packets are really the only pre-packaged food I buy, other than yogurt and a few things you can't make yourself.  I make pretty much everything from scratch, from french fries to apple sauce to breadcrumbs (most of the time...heh).  Now that I know how easy it is to make my own oatmeal, I will definitely never go back. 

Those recipes sound deliiiiicious.

kk_bella
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I always hated oatmeal. My mom eats it with a lot of milk and salt. *Gag*

But, when I needed to build my milk supply, I started eating it and it grew on me.

I boil it with salt and raisins and eat it just like that. Sometimes, I add a little nutmeg.

Aubles
by Group Admin on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Quoting eleanorigby:

Quoting Aubles:

Those packets suck ass.

Oh, please do!

The funny thing is that the packets are really the only pre-packaged food I buy, other than yogurt and a few things you can't make yourself.  I make pretty much everything from scratch, from french fries to apple sauce to breadcrumbs (most of the time...heh).  Now that I know how easy it is to make my own oatmeal, I will definitely never go back. 

Those recipes sound deliiiiicious.

That is so funny.  I do everything from scratch, too.  I don't churn my own butter, but I even have started making my own pasta.  I make most of my own bread, but I LOVE sprouted grain bread and don't know how to make it yet....and I'm too lazy to learn. Next I'm going to start making my own granola.

For now, it's time for cookies.  Be back soon with the recipes.

- Nelson Mandela
jmomma2003
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:31 PM

honey, cinnamon and any dried fruit...we especially like apricots and cranberries 

honey and cinnamon

brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins

fruit preserves and a bit of brown sugar

strawberries and honey

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
Oscar Wilde

TeaEarlGreyHot
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 1:33 PM

We don't. My husband hates oatmeal and it would just go to waste.

spider

TonyaSuzanne
by Group Owner on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Apples, Brown sugar, cinnamon, any kind of berries.  Of course butter & only little bits of milk (rice milk)!

We love it too!

I just bought the packets for the first time in awhile because when O is out of town, it's a little easier but fresh is so nice!!

Aubles
by Group Admin on Jan. 23, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Oven Apple Oats:

3 1/2 c milk (calls for 2% or whole, but I use rice milk)

1 c Irish oats

2 t pure maple syrup

1/2 t freshly grated nutmeg (I just use ground nutmeg)

1 - 1 1/2 c peeled and diced apples

2/3 c currants or raisins (or less to taste)

1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 375,

In a saucepan, heat milk on medium heat until very hot but not quite boiling; stif occasionally to prevent scorching.  Stir in oats, maple syrup, numeg and diced apples and continue to cook for several minutes, just until mixture returns to a boil.  Remove from heat, add currants or raisins to the salt and mix well.

Spoon oatmeal mixture  into a 1 1/2 qt casserole dish, cover, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until all of the liquid is absorbed and oatmeal is creamy.  The oatmeal "casserole" will puff up slightly when finished.

Stir well just before dishing up, and eat while piping hot.

- Nelson Mandela
Aubles
by Group Admin on Jan. 23, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Peach Oats Brulee:

4 c unsweetened peach juice

2 c rolled oats

1/2 - 3/4 t salt

1 - 2 T butter

1/3- 1/2 c brown sugar lightly packed

Preheat oven to 350.

Pour juice into a saucepan, cover, and bring to a boil on high heat.  Stir in oats and salt and return to boil, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.

Transfer oat mixture to a lightly oiled, ovenproof 2- quart casserole dish that's about 9 x 6 inches.  Cover and bake for 25 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and oats are tender and golden.  Remove from the oven dot top with butter and evenly sprinkle with brown sugar.  Place under broiler about 3 to 6 inches from heating element and broil for 2 to 3 minutes until sugar is melted and bubbly.  Serve hot.

You can also use different juice flavors for variety.  Apple raspberry (2 c of each), apple apricot,  and apple pear are good flavor varieties.

- Nelson Mandela
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)