Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my 2 yo to eat??

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 211 Total Views

2 Recent Tricks

Pirate Swords - He loves stabbing those little suckers into anything.  Stab peas w/ a bit of chicken works really well or little meatballs!!

"No Mine" - Yes, I pick up his food and say "That's o-k, I'll eat it"  That is like a challenge to my little man.  The other day I picked up his yogurt and said I'll eat it, he downed it in less then 1 minute, saying "NO, MINE!"

What are your tricks??

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TeaEarlGreyHot
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:55 PM

So far I don't need any.

spider

TonyaSuzanne
by Group Owner on Jan. 22, 2009 at 12:05 AM

Quoting TeaEarlGreyHot:

So far I don't need any.

Stop bragging.

Aubles
by Group Admin on Jan. 22, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Those are great tricks, Tonya!

I don't need any tricks anymore.  I used to threaten to set the timer, but now they just eat what I put in front of them.  We talk a lot about nutrition, and what's in the food they're eating, like what kind of vitamins, whether it's protein, carbs, or sugars, what the food is made out of, etc.  It seems like the more they know, the more willing they are to eat it.

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
- Nelson Mandela
eleanorigby
by Group Admin on Jan. 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM

My 3 y/o is the picky eater around here! We've never made separate food for the kids, and we've always had a "try one bite" rule, but the child does not even touch her dinner most nights.  For the most part, I just let it slide.  I think my job is to offer the healthiest options I can, teach her about food, and hope she learns.  It might seem harsh, but a kid won't starve just because she doesn't feel like eating.

She has some days where she eats like a pig, and other days when she grazes and eats very lightly.  My biggest struggle is not becoming frustrated.  My intention is to go with the laid back approach, but something primal rises in me when she won't even touch something I've spent a lot of time and effort making.  In any event, if she doesn't eat her dinner she may have a slice of bread and a glass of water before she goes to sleep.  This is my husband's idea, not mine.  "You won't get anything else to eat" doesn't have much power when she's going to get a slice of bread. 

I think the most important thing to us is that we encourage a healthy, positive attitude about food.  It is SO frustrating, though.  And I think I will try the pirate swords :)

TeaEarlGreyHot
by on Jan. 23, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Quoting TonyaSuzanne:

Quoting TeaEarlGreyHot:

So far I don't need any.

Stop bragging.

Not bragging. Emma has refused to eat before. I usually just let her down and make her wait an hour before offering the food she rejected again. By then she's usually so hungry she doesn't care. lol

spider

Aubles
by Group Admin on Jan. 23, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Quoting eleanorigby:

My 3 y/o is the picky eater around here! We've never made separate food for the kids, and we've always had a "try one bite" rule, but the child does not even touch her dinner most nights.  For the most part, I just let it slide.  I think my job is to offer the healthiest options I can, teach her about food, and hope she learns.  It might seem harsh, but a kid won't starve just because she doesn't feel like eating.

She has some days where she eats like a pig, and other days when she grazes and eats very lightly.  My biggest struggle is not becoming frustrated.  My intention is to go with the laid back approach, but something primal rises in me when she won't even touch something I've spent a lot of time and effort making.  In any event, if she doesn't eat her dinner she may have a slice of bread and a glass of water before she goes to sleep.  This is my husband's idea, not mine.  "You won't get anything else to eat" doesn't have much power when she's going to get a slice of bread. 

I think the most important thing to us is that we encourage a healthy, positive attitude about food.  It is SO frustrating, though.  And I think I will try the pirate swords :)

I have days where I eat like a pig, and days where I graze and hardly touch anything and push my dinner plate away after a few bites.

And I get irritated, too, when my kids won't eat something I just spent hours preparing.  I tell them healthy food is my gift to them.  I get so sick of them coming into the kitchen, asking for treats or whatever it is that I'm preparing into a dinner, but then they tell me they don't like dinner. So, I just tell them that me fixing them dinner is like when they color me a picture.  Do they want me to like the picture and be thankful for it, or do they want me to crumple their art up and throw it away?

My four year old is the worst about it.  My 5 year old eats slowly, picks through her food, and simply has the most irritating eating habits.

Then David takes it upon himself to "help" her eat, and shovels bites of food that are big enough for his giant mouth into her tiny little head.  It's frustrating, and can't we just have a decent family meal for once?!

It gets easier, the more relaxed you are about it.  And my kids are a lot more apt to eat their food if they are involved in the preparation of it.

Well, there was my dinner time rant.  And last night we actually had a great dinner.  Everyone ate!

A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
- Nelson Mandela
rjstephens
by New Member on Feb. 3, 2009 at 3:12 PM

my husband can do the "no mine" trick... if i try, she just shares, lol.

our magic trck lately is dipping sauces... for everything. however, its how easily they'll go for pears in kechup (ugh! it was meant for the veggie burger!)

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Pic. . . . . .. . . . . .Lilypie 3rd Birthday Pic

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

TonyaSuzanne
by Group Owner on Feb. 6, 2009 at 1:03 AM

Quoting rjstephens:

my husband can do the "no mine" trick... if i try, she just shares, lol.

our magic trck lately is dipping sauces... for everything. however, its how easily they'll go for pears in kechup (ugh! it was meant for the veggie burger)

LOL!!  That's funny.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)