Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? For those of you that your heart baby wasnt born last

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 296 Total Views

Ok so my son was born with 5 heart defects none of which were prenatally diagnosed, or even discovered before they sent us home. Recently i found out that i am now expecting #2. So my question is what did ur OB do differently for you the next pregnancy since you had already had a baby with CHD?

expecting baby

Eli Jacob 7/3/08                                           Baby #2 EDD 9/23/09

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Oliviasmommy131
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I was born with Congenital heart defects myself and have had 3 open heart surgeries. When I was pregnant with my girls they did Fetal echos and ultrasounds on the babies when I was only about 4 months along! It was amazing how well they could see everything at such a young stage.

So they might send you to a "high risk" doctor or send you to a speciality clinic where they can do the fetal echo.

heathoconnell
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:34 PM
My first of three was diagnosed in utero with Ebstein's Anomaly (at 11 mths she was diagnosed with Williams Syndrome). Each time I got pregnant after that our fetal cardiologist (who still follows my daughter) did fetal echos at around 12 weeks and again around 19 weeks - before any routine ultrasounds would have been scheduled. We were very fortunate and both of our boys have healthy hearts. We go to CHildren's in Philly for EVERYTHING and are so lucky to be within an hour of CHOP. I highly recommend fetal echos and hopefully you live somewhere, where like us, you have access to a good fetal heart program. Also, if you do the screening where they do the level 2 ultrasound and skin prick, they look at the thickening of the neck, which not only looks for things like Downs, but can also indicate a heart issue. (I only had this with my last pregnancy because of my age and when it actually became a test that was done) Good luck!
Heather
unicornmother75
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 10:14 PM

when we found out we were preggers with our second child, our OB had done an Level 2 ultrasound and I had demaned before he was born that he needed to have an ekg and an echo after birth...  Our OB at the time said he would, but because the Level 2 Ultrasound came back negitive for Heart defects, he never did the tests...  Unfortuanlly we lost him 53 days after he was born, because of SIDS.  But my daughters Heart Dr was not 100% sure that was the complete reason why he died...  Then when we found out we were preggers with our third child, I had a new OB and they too did a level 2 ultrasound and had him checked over and over after birth for any heart defects...  So I am happy to say our Third child is healthy as a horse... 

Andrea

Mamabear2311
by New Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 6:00 AM

My son was born with Digeorge syndrome which was the cause for his 2 heart defects and none were diagnosed during the pregnancy.....I am now prego with # 2 and they have done in utero fetal echo's, ultrasounds up to wooohaa and an amniocentesis since Diegeorge can be found in the amniotic fluid!!! The ultrasound and echos came out perfect and the amnio came back with no Digeorge!!! The main thing you have to do is be on top of your pregnancy and what you want done to ensure that your child is ok and do whatever it takes to make you be at ease!!! I had to fight to get all my work done but I would do it again in a heartbeat to make sure my child is ok!!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)