Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Imagination in a crock

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 155 Total Views

Hi gals,

I am wondering if y'all follow recipes more or do you use your crock for the dregs of your refer to create a warm meal for your family??

Well, I have to be honest and say I am the later. I find freezered leftover items add some chopped carrot, celery, and onion with some broth and voila a warm free meal for my family. yes, I say free cuz the freezered item has already been accounted for, the veggie trinity that I use is something I always try to keep on hand and I then add water with bouillon to make the liquid so OK perhaps the bouillon cost me 10 cents a cube. whoopdeedoo LOL

So I would love for you to post below some of your best creations and some of your regular ideas that you use in your crock.

Thanks for your participation.....Julie

by on Mar. 10, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mom2priceboys
by Group Owner on Mar. 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM

OK so for my first one.....we had about a cup and a half of some leftover rice a roni (spanish with ground beef) in the refer. I did my usual chop listed above plus some garlic (also a regular pantry item) put it into the crock with some beef bouillon and water and a can of petite diced tomatoes cooked them a few hours on low then added the rice leftovers about an hour before eating and it was the best spanish style soup that I served with tamales that we had limited amount and a guest hehehe.

I have another cup and half of this rice and hubs asked me to make it again LOL 

LadyJaneof3
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM

The Holy Trinity of Cooking...I thought I was the only one that called them that LOL!

LadyJaneof3
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Ok~yes, I'm one that often veers to the left when it comes to recipes.  My first creation I make alot of during the summer.

Fresh tomatoes cut up

1 can tomato paste(always have in the pantry)

spices: italian spices, bay leaves, beef bouillon cube,

onions, garlic, and sometimes carrots.

I cook these down for 8-10 hours; adding water when needed.  Then I take a potatoe masher and really mash them down to a nice mushy liquid.

I usually will freeze it or add ground beef(already cooked) and more water (just to thin if needed) and spaghetti.

Recover and cook on high for an hour or until the noodles are done and voila...spaghetti.

LadyJaneof3
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Other times I will use that tomatoe mixture add already cooked ground beef and a bag of mixed frozen veggies and instant veggie soup.

Jules5077
by on Mar. 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I usually like to follow a recipe, however sometimes I get in the mood to just throw stuff together and see how it turns out!  It's a great anticipation to see how it tastes when it's done.

mom2priceboys
by Group Owner on Mar. 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Oh no I've called it that forever LOL except its really a quad cuz it really almost always includes chopped garlic. I love garlic!!!

It wasnt until I was in my 30's that I found out it really meant onion pepper and celery.....what....no carrot or garlic.....those creole are just wrong hehehe truthfully, I am not a pepper lover thus I don't feed it to my family much heres a little background 

Quoting LadyJaneof3:

The Holy Trinity of Cooking...I thought I was the only one that called them that LOL!

mom2priceboys
by Group Owner on Mar. 11, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Oh yes!!! Another one of my favorites!! I don't use the paste, just let the tomatoes do their job when they are plentiful... Same spices too!!! I live italian seasoning but hubs not so much so I have to be careful about the balance. :( 

Quoting LadyJaneof3:

Ok~yes, I'm one that often veers to the left when it comes to recipes.  My first creation I make alot of during the summer.

Fresh tomatoes cut up

1 can tomato paste(always have in the pantry)

spices: italian spices, bay leaves, beef bouillon cube,

onions, garlic, and sometimes carrots.

I cook these down for 8-10 hours; adding water when needed.  Then I take a potatoe masher and really mash them down to a nice mushy liquid.

I usually will freeze it or add ground beef(already cooked) and more water (just to thin if needed) and spaghetti.

Recover and cook on high for an hour or until the noodles are done and voila...spaghetti.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)