Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No Knead Bread

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 158 Total Views

A friend of mine gave me this recipe and it's worked beautifully every time.

It's very long and chatty.

Briana's No Knead Bread

IN the December January MOTHER EARTH NEWS they have a huge article on bread baking. 5 minutes a day or fresh baked bread. Basically a scientist joined up with a CIA pastry chef and they fiddled with this until it worked. I have yet to try it, I'm doing my first batch tonight.

*Bread flour has more protein therefore makes a chewier loaf but you don't HAVE to use it.

*Use only kosher or sea salt. No idolized salt.
*if you want boules use a baking stone.
*boiler tray to add water in and make a chewier crust.
*YOU DON'T KNEAD these loaves. You shape and let rest before baking.

Master recipe (makes 4 1lb loaves)

3 cups lukewarm water (100 degrees)

1 1/2
tbsp granulated yeast (You can get 1 pound of yeast at Costco for about three dollars. DON'T buy the packets or jars, way too freaking expensive)

1 1/2 tbsp coarse or Kosher salt

6 1/2 cups of UNSIFTED, unbleached, all purpose white flour

cornmeal for pizza peel

heat the water to body temperature, add in the yeast and salt (preferably in a resealable container-not airtight. Use one with a gasket or lift a corner)

mix in the flour by gently lifting it up and leveling it off with a knife . Mix with a wooden spoon, heavy duty stand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment. If it becomes too heavy, use wet hands. DO NOT KNEAD. (recipe emphasis, not mine) This step is done in a matter of minutes and yields a wet dough loose enough to conform to the container.

Cover loosely. Allow mixture to rise at room temperature until it begins to collapse, appx two hours depending on temp. Longer rise times will not harm the result. You can use a portion of the dough any time after this period. Refrigerated wet dough is less sticky and easier to work with than room temp dough. We recommend refrigerating the dough at least three hours before shaping a loaf. And Relax! You don't need to monitor as in traditional recipes.

(they keep it in the fridge and use it like a sourdough, supposedly the wetness of the dough keeps it longer and gives it a good taste. When you use the container again, don't wash it out, just scrape it down and use it like sourdough)

20 minutes before baking heat over to 450 and place baking stone in middle of rack. Place empty boiler tray on bottom rack for water.

On baking day ( or while you're cooking dinner) cut off @ a pound of dough making sure to keep your hands wet, and form the ball into a boule or loaf, but no kneading. (You can dust your hands or wet them) Dust pizza peel with cornmeal.

Let dough rest uncovered on pizza peel for @ 40 minutes -you may see a little rise, but more in the oven. Dust the top with flour and use a serrated knife to slash the top. Slide the dough off the peel onto the stone and then pour a cup of water in the broiler pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned. When you remove the loaf it will audibly crack or sing as it hits room temp. The perfect crust may soften up while cooling, but will harden up again.

Refrigerate remaining dough in your lidded container (not sealed) for up to two weeks. You'll find that that even one day's storage improves the flavor and texture of your bread. This maturation continues over the two week period. Cut off and shape into loaves as you need them. The dough can also be frozen in one pound portions and defrosted in the fridge overnight.

The BIG one is 6-3-3-13 rule.

6 cups water, three tbsp slat 3 tbsp yeast, 13 cups of flour. Same directions as above. I'm doing the smaller one tonight.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mom2priceboys
by Group Owner on Mar. 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM

clarify for mw please...this makes samwich or slice stye bread?? Sounds easy enough so I am interested in trying it.....thanks.....Julie

SusanTheWriter
by on Mar. 23, 2012 at 8:57 PM

It makes an artisan-type bread with a thick, chewy crust. Great for stews, great for dunking, great for eating in thick slices, but it's not easy to cut thin, even slices like for a sandwich.

LadyJaneof3
by on Mar. 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I just realized you posted this...thank you!  I'm going to have to try this.

mom2priceboys
by Group Owner on Mar. 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM

So what your saying is it is perfect for dunking into our wonderful crock pot stews and such LOL I am so gonna make this when i have a day off

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

It makes an artisan-type bread with a thick, chewy crust. Great for stews, great for dunking, great for eating in thick slices, but it's not easy to cut thin, even slices like for a sandwich.

jpalmer
by on May. 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM
I am going to have to try this!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)