Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I made an offshoot of the 3 envelope roast

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 162 Total Views

Last night was my sons 15th b-day and he was having some friends over for his dinner so, I needed a satisfying filling dinner thus the roast idea.

So, I put on the bottom of my 6 qt oval crock a sliced onion and a few chopped garlic cloves. Put the 3 lbs of roast on top then the 2 packets of beef gravy and ranch dip mix - mixed together - on top. Added in about 2 cups water (we wanted gravy!!) then cooked on low about 8 hours while life went on

About 4 I got home, took out a can of sliced mushrooms, drained them very well, put them in a bowl then put over them about 1/4 cup flour, a good shake of pepper and garlic powder. Let them absorb and get coated with this flour mix then browned them a little in a tablespoon of margarine on the stove-top. After a few minutes I added them into the crock and cooked it all another hour while I made mashed potatoes (almost 10 lbs hahaha) and steamed a huge head of broccoli. OMGosh this was so good and there is nothing left!!!

We also served a homemade cake and store bought ice cream - all went well!!!

Have you done this type of envelope roast? Have you done any "envelope" meal?Is it a family fav or would you not do it again?

Hope to hear from one and all of you on this.....Julie

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommaTAF
by Head Admin on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I have never done any of the envelope meals, sounds like I will have to though!!

mom2priceboys
by Group Owner on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I hadn't either cuz truthfully it never sounded good so I was very surprised that it turned out so well!! the flavor might also have been as good had I used a 4 lb roast.(We might have had some leftovers then hahaha - what am I saying teenage boys means no leftovers) Next I might try the chicken on that includes the italian dressing in it also.

Quoting MommaTAF:

I have never done any of the envelope meals, sounds like I will have to though!!

mom2priceboys
by Group Owner on May. 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Just came b to look this up becasue this same b-day boy asked for me to make this again this month - so I got the roast and will do it on thursady night

rebeccan3
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Oh that sounds good - - - I have not made an envelope roast or chicken but may have to try it.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas with us.  : )

MommyOfOne2710
by on Jun. 29, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I haven't made an envelope roast or chicken but I think I'm going to try it now.. :) 

mom2priceboys
by Group Owner on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM

notation so I remember lol, made with one envelope mushroom gravy, one of ranch, 2 beef bouillion cubes, 2cups water, 3# beef roast. started at 10am on low in my rival.. expet to be done around 5 or 6 wil serve with mashed potatoes and maybe steamed carrots

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)