Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No ideas.....

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2011 at 12:24 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 285 Total Views

So what do you do when you just can't seem to find anything that strikes your fancy to draw/paint/whatever it is you do?

I was working on something in a new to me medium ( colored pencils) that I use in my crafting quite a bit. I became enthralled with it and wanted to actually do some ART ..and I just couldn't get it the way I wanted it..so that drawing in in the "later pile" and there was the  other one..and the other one.yk..the ones that make you angry LOL..so I finally after a couple of years of hoarding two drawings that I KNEW I would never finish ..I just got rid of them. Now I am idea less..I have ZERO idea as to what I want to draw..nothing hits me..nothing jumps out at me. I am kinda of lacking in the creative dept.  now

what do you all do when you hit that proverbial brick wall?

by on Jan. 28, 2011 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Lizziejoy
by on Jan. 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I like to go to the art museum and walk around. Looking at other peeple's work usually gets my juices flowing again.

artC1s
by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM

I would love to hear more responses to this one. I started crafting, and teaching that to fill the space when "I didn't have the time". Now I am not doing that either. My dd asked me to draw something the other day, and my response was, "No". I don't know where that came from, but not a good feeling.

Artladydp
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I like to look at other people's work, too.  I'll go to Etsy or even Ebay and search for things just to look at.  I get so many ideas that way.  Not that I'm copying them, it just gets the juices flowing.

soccerjunki
by Group Owner on Feb. 16, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I like going to Etsy as well Debby. I do find that I tend to look at more than just drawings or paintings so that really helps! I love looking at what others have sewed or made with their hands as well. Right now I am working on some cards..( water coloring them ..I like to practice on the small size they offer plus there is NO stretching of the paper :) and some mini books of site words for my dd. Then it will be on to Easter crafts..I think I am more crafty right now than anything..LOL

soccerjunki
by Group Owner on Feb. 16, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Quoting artC1s:

I would love to hear more responses to this one. I started crafting, and teaching that to fill the space when "I didn't have the time". Now I am not doing that either. My dd asked me to draw something the other day, and my response was, "No". I don't know where that came from, but not a good feeling.

I think we all go through some sort of " I am not in the mod to draw". It is not a pretty season outside and when it gets drab and gray my creativity just goes looking for the sun I guess, because it sure is not here!

reux
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I jump around to different projects. I also find getting out and getting some exercise helps a lot. And gardening--for some reason digging around in the dirt really helps my creativity.

ApplesnCarrots
by Group Admin on Mar. 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Looking at photos helps, too.  When you see a fantastic photo and it just screams to be turned into a different art medium and you connect with the composition or subject, etc.  Deviant art is another super stimulating place for the art minded. 

And at other times there's nothing wrong with being out of the mood for creating.  Sometimes we need a break. 

artC1s
by on Mar. 24, 2011 at 5:41 AM

I doodle on everything, this can get the creative flow going. Just sit down in front of a movie, tv show, video, or have music on. I have to disconnect from the world a little and tap into my senses to get started.

craftyonecent
by Member on Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I do a lot of research on the internet...just looking at images and find something that may appeal to me.  I am trying to decorate my walls nicely with my art so finding different motifs and themes in the bath and bedroom sections at online stores helps me figure out what I might like!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN