Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Retin A for Acne.

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:31 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 391 Total Views
My 15 year old son has deep cystic acne. We've tried every over the counter product imaginable including Proactive. Our doctor has prescribed a number of antibiotics and prescription creams and nothing has worked. Today our Doctor prescribed Retin A. He has been hesitant to do so because my son is in marching band and they practice outside for up to 6 hours a day. He said this will make him much more prone to sunburn so we should find a high strength "non chomenogenic" (sp??) sunscreen and he should never be without it when outdoors. I've always heard good things about Retin A and wondered what you think of it. Also is there anything at else we should be doing?

We live in a very small town and we don't have a dermatologist so this is our family doctor that's treating him. I trust in him, but I know his knowledge of skin care only goes so far. More advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 12:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
jeni2671
by on Jul. 31, 2007 at 7:32 PM
Hi!  I just went off of Retin-A. It didn't seem to help me at all.  As a matter of fact, it made my face worse.  According to the pamplet, it says that the skin will get worse before it gets better but I was on it for 8 weeks with no improvement. 

I don't want to discourage you as every person is different and I've known others who had success with it.  I just wasn't one of them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)